Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Guest Post, not really

Grammatical errors have frustrated me from a very young age.  I remember elementary school teachers sending home letters with me in which there was a typo.  First my mom would find it and laugh about it, question why she wasn't home-schooling us, etc.  Then as the years went on, I'd find it, laugh about it, show it to my mom, and listen to her laugh about it. 

Because I am not a nice person, I keep old photo Christmas cards on my fridge when some idiot attempts to make his or her family's last name plural by using an apostrophe and an "s".  So the fridge is current pictures of everyone, and also years of pictures of those who don't seem to understand plurals. 

That's probably my favorite grammar error, but I don't discriminate.  At work last week I was reading something where the guy wrote:  I've "never" been "employed." 

Is it possible to read that without having a funny intonation on "never" and "employed." And is it possible to read that without wondering what exactly he was trying to imply by using the quotes?  Was he an independent contractor in a prior life? 

However, I rarely think to photograph the errors, so the amusement is fleeting.  I was proud of myself for thinking to snap a pic of one recently, and I actually submitted it to a site that makes me chuckle, Apostropheabuse.com.

Here's a link to my post:  http://www.apostropheabuse.com/2012/01/justice-for-one-of-its-own.html

Enjoy...

No comments:

Post a Comment