Monday, January 23, 2012

FMM: Short Answers

My weekend was crazy busy with physical activity and I'm still kind of worn out.  So why not do a Friend Making Monday again?! 

If you’ve taken part in FMM then you know the rules. If you’re new, please take a moment to answer this week’s question on your own blog then add your link in the comments section at: http://www.alltheweigh.com/ so we can all see your FMM questions and answers. Please invite your blog readers to add their links here too so everyone has to opportunity to be seen. The idea is to connect with other awesome bloggers so take a moment to post your own FMM post and comment on a couple of other posts. Now it’s time for this week’s topic!

FMM: Short Answers

1.  Mac or PC?  I use PCs at work, so that's what I'm most comfortable using I guess.  But it's not a strong preference.

2.  Do you paint your own nails?  Only in a pinch -- if they're painted and one has chipped or something.  I'll occasionally do my own toenails, but I actually just haven't been into polish for the last few years.  I had fills when we got married and I still notice in wedding photos how downright awesome my hands look, so maybe at one point I'll get back into having them done regularly. 

3.  Beach or mountains?  I guess it would be cheating to say both or either since the whole point is to choose.  I guess I'd go with beach right now.  The town in Italy where we got engaged and married and where we want to live one day is on the beach and it's wonderful.  But right now, I'd settle for pretty much any beach (or any mountain, but I didn't say that). 

4.  What’s the title of the book you’re currently reading?  I'm almost always reading several books at once.  But since one of my resolutions was to keep track of my reading, I need to be keeping a list.  I'm reading two fiction books right now, which is weird for me.  The Drop, by Michael Connellly, b/c he's my husband's favorite author and he loved the book and wanted me to read it.  And Ursula Under, by Ingrid Hill, b/c it was a book club selection, but I didn't finish on time because I wasn't into it.  But it's a very intriguing way of writing (it's kind of a modern story, but it keeps tracing back to this child's ancestors and telling parts of their stories, like someone in the 1600s who passes through a town and impregnates the innkeeper's daughter, and that child has a child who has a child who has a child, etc., all leading up to one of this little girl's parents -- very fun to think about!).  And for non-fiction, I'm reading some language books on learning Chinese, but those kind of don't count in my mind for some reason.  My main non-fiction is re-reading Tears in the Darkness, by Michael Norman and Elizabeth Norman, in preparation for the marathon (a Bataan Death March story).

5.  Do you dance?  Not really, but I'd love to learn.  We always dance at weddings and my husband is so much better than I am.  I love it, love it, love it, but am just not good at it. 

6.  CNN or Fox News? If I had to choose between those two, CNN, but I can't remember the last time I watched it.  Way too much commentary, and too much coverage of the "missing white woman of the week."  I usually watch EuroNews or RAI (though I still don't understand all of it).  I like international news coverage much more.  I sometimes watch the English-language Chinese station now too (preparing for our trip) and despite the fact that I'd watched about 2 hours of the Today Show and before that had vaguely listened to CNN while hubby was watching it, the Chinese station was the most coverage I heard of the first day with the new Egyptian Parliament, something I'd consider real news.  US media is so frustrating. 

7.  Do you ride a bicycle?  No, I don't have one right now.  I really want to get one next year I think, or maybe the following year.  It would be fun to have as an alternative to running. 

8.  Do you get a yearly flu shot?  Yes, mostly just since my employer and hubby's offer them.  And I hate being sick so much.  My husband comes into contact with the general public, so he could bring all kinds of stuff home. 

9.  Best movie you’ve seen in 2012?  The only ones we've watched have been Netflix -- Incendies (highly recommend) and Bridesmaids (way overrated, waste of time).  I guess we've watched some movies on TV too, mostly Lifetime since I had control of the remote, though hubby was completely hooked on the Drew Peterson Story -- so bad!! 

10.  Do you prefer to workout at home or at the gym?  Uh, why is this the question?  What about neither, meaning working out outside?  I would choose an outdoor workout (running or boot camp) over an indoor workout at home or the gym 360 days out of the year!  But I guess the whole point is to choose one of the two options offered, so I'll go with the gym.  While a dreadmill is insanely boring, things like rowing machines, a basketball court, racquetball courts, a pool, and weight machines (though I prefer body weight exercises) are a nice change of pace for those 5 days a year I would not prefer to work out outside.  At home I never seem to get in as good a workout as outside or at the gym. 

11.  Last airport you were in?  Haha, isn't this a trick question?  Of course it's everyone's home airport (unless they flew somewhere and never came home, or drove home or something).  Haha.  Since that's probably not what the question meant, the last airport I was in besides my local one (DFW) was General Mitchell Airport (Milwaukee) when I left there after being home for Christmas.  I will have to read other people's answers to this one to see if anyone is as literal as I am. 

12.  Married or single?  Married just over 1,000 days. 

13.  iPhone or Android? iPhone

14.  Do you prefer to be in pictures or taking pictures?  Taking pictures.  I think I answered this one before.

15.  Favorite brand of sneakers?  I run in Brooks.  Usually the Glycerine.

16.  Do you like snow?  I love it for up to 5 days in a year around Christmas only if I don't have to drive in it.  Hate driving in it (see posts about wrecking a car on Christmas this year), hate working out in it, hate when it gets all dirty, but really love a few days of it.  I like it if I'm skiing too, but I haven't gone skiing in so long. 

17.  Do you have/want to have kids?  No.  Just not right for my life. 

18.  Summer or Winter?  Hmm... this is tough.  Most of my life the easy answer was summer.  But now that I live in Texas, summers are a little warm to really be comfortable, so that's make me grow to love fall since that's more like what I think of as summer weather (and now that I'm out of school, summers aren't quite so much fun).  But I'll still go with summer if I have to choose. 

19.  Do you know how to swim?  Not really.  I can get by for a short distance, and I'm pretty much okay on my back, but I don't know proper form and I don't really swim for exercise (though I know it's one of the best non-running fitness activities there is), but if there's a beer on a raft in a lake, I can make it out to the raft. 

20.  Do you prefer to shop in store or online?  Neither really.  I guess for clothes for myself I'd say in stores, for gifts for other people, I'd say online.  Though I'm considering renting a dress for the Mardi Gras ball this year -- scary, since I like seeing how things actually look on me and this will require just taking a leap of faith that it will fit and look okay.  We'll see. 

Now it’s your turn.  Post your own answers and share on the blog alltheweigh.com.

6 comments:

  1. LOL @ swimming out to the raft in the lake for beer! Funny!

    I thought that about #11, too!

    Stopping in from FMM - Hi!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stopping by from FMM. Love your answer to #19. I felt the same way about Bridesmaids. A Marid Gras ball sounds fun. Enjoy the outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. finally someone else that does not how to swim! (I though I was alone). I'm with you with the snow: if I'm inside, fully stacked and old movies, by all means snow. Otherwise, nope.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved my Brooks Glycerine when I had them, then when I went to replace them my store didn't have my size (living in a small city, not a lot of options). I found the Asics Cumulus and Nimbus were good alternatives for my feet too.

    Ursula Under sounds interesting - I enjoy books that have a complex backstory like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to try Brookes. I'm trying them on next time I get shoes. Several of my friends have them but I'd never heard of them until a few months ago.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stopping by from FMM...thanks for your visit to mine :)

    ReplyDelete