Monday, April 11, 2011

T-7 Days!

Holy cow, the countdown is on.  My stomach is not doing well.  I'm sure it's just nerves, but I'm thinking about cutting out my one daily double espresso -- it seems to make my stomach even more unsettled.  Plus, one week from today, I'll be running Boston, two weeks from today I'll be celebrating la Pasquetta in Italia!  There will be plenty of espresso there... An added reason to cut the espresso is b/c I don't really know how to make it (hubby makes it in the morning) and he'll be out of town beginning on Wed. afternoon (he's starting our vacation earlier than I am). 

Yesterday was okay for the run.  It was only 12 miles with 6 at race pace.  I was hitting the right paces, but mentally struggling.  Feeling slow and sluggish. 

But then I had a great rest of the day.  Went to a friend's house for lunch with another long-time running friend who was back in town for the weekend.  I got to play with my godson and his sister a lot, which was fun.  My godson's language skills have been a bit delayed (he's 2.5 yrs old now), but it's amazing how much progress he's made in just the last few months.  Suddenly he's talking a lot and I understand a lot of it.  Before he was in the "point and cry" camp most of the time. 

After lunch, I came home and packed.  I've gotten everything into my suitcase except a few critical things -- namely, everything I need for the marathon, and running clothes for in Europe, and what I'm going to leave in Pittsburgh (since we'll start and end our trip there, I'm going to leave a couple days' worth of clean clothes so I can wear clean stuff home).  And then I still have to pack all non-clothing stuff, make-up, vitamins, glasses, camera, converters, gu, watches, jewelry, etc.  But that should be pretty easy and may happen on Tues night, just so it's all done.

I need to make some marathon day decisions.  What am I going to wear?  Ideally, my Texas flag shorts and a blue short sleeve shirt.  But, ideally, it will be too cold to wear that.  Then what? 

The forecast as of this morning is predicting for next Monday a high of 54, a low of 39, and 30% rain.  So that makes me think maybe shorts and long sleeves?  It's so weird to be running a marathon that doesn't start around 8 a.m.  Since I'm in wave 2, my start time will be after 10:20, which means I'll probably be running during warmer parts of the day.  So I should ignore that 39 number, and plan for maybe mid-40s?  45 to me is wear I'm better off in shorts.  But 50-55 is wear I switch to short sleeves.  So maybe shorts and long sleeves.  I am actually considering wearing my Texas shorts and my newest White Rock marathon long-sleeved shirt.  I'm also going to have to pack some throw-away clothes. 

So much to think about.  It's exciting, and I wish my tummy would realize that instead of continuing to maintain that it's scary. 

No comments:

Post a Comment