Friday, April 22, 2011

La Vita è Bella!

So it is mid-afternoon in bella Calabria, Italia and life is good!  Very hard to type since this keyboard (husbandàs cousinàs sonàs) doesnàt seem to have an apostrophe!

Legs are finally feeling okay and I went for my first post-Boston run today.  It was also my first trail run maybe ever.  It was in a park here in Lamezia, but one Iàd never seen before.  Lots of woods and trails, so wonderful.  But wow, I have been sore for the last few days.

Weàve officially started our list of ways in which life is better for us in America.  We have to make a list like this every time we visit, otherwise weàd never go back.  Weàre seriously ready to move here.  Hopefully weàll be able to make that happen in about 10 years or so.

Ways life in Italy is not better:

No running water at night.  Iàve heard itàs not like this in the rest of Calabria, but maybe the other towns are older or newer or richer, but here, thereàs no water overnight.  Ugh!  No flushing the toilet or brushing your teeth when you get home late.

Pits in the olives, even when added to pizza.  I know thatàs natural, but wow, I love pitted olives.

Seeds in the grapes.  Again, more natural, but more of a pain.

No dialect in the US.  The older half of my husbandàs family speaks only dialect and it is soooo tough for us to understand.  In fact, we donàt.  We just say si, or we wait for someone closer to our age to explain.

Quiet.  Hubbyàs family is in a town called Nicastro, and I have no idea if itàs like this everywhere, but there seems to be about a dozen dogs (or maybe fewer but very active) that are barking like crazy at night and first thing in the morning.  Hubby said if that happened in the town where he works, there would be about a dozen calls to the police within half an hour. 

Big beds.  At the hotel where we spent our first night in Italy, and pretty much every other hotel and home weàve slept in here, we get a double bed, and itàs like two twin beds pushed together.  With some kind of connector, and a single sheet.  But it still sucks for whoever has to sleep on the crack.

Showers.  Real showers.  I prefer a mounted showerhead, and I prefer being around people who shower daily for the most part.  No one in my husbandàs family seems to not shower often enough, but sometimes out on the street, youàll be able to smell someone.  So bizarre.  Happens far more frequently than in the US.

So thatàs my list for now.  All things Iàd gladly forgive for the opportunity to stay here forever.

Yesterday was lots of eating and church.  Maundy Thursday meant we went to mass at 6ç30 at night for a service that had younger boys dressed a little like monks in brown and they had their feet washed.  Then we actually went out for dinner (not something we do often here), and after that (before gelato) we went to another church for the procession or vigil between churches.

This morning a new-to-me cousin took us to the park for our run.  He and his wife (actual cousin, he is a cousin-in-law) live in Belgium but are also here for Easter.  Iàd never met them before, this is the first time our visits have overlapped.  Anyway, theyàre both awesome.  Heàs having some allergy issues, but took us to the park anyway and he just walked around and took some photos.  Including of us running.  Then as we were driving back, we stopped at Circolo Tennis Lamezia, and he asked if I played.  My husband HATES to play tennis, so I basically never play, but this guy loves it, though he claims he also hasnàt played recently.  Anyway, I think he secured rackets for us and an appointment to play tomorrow morning, which will be so much fun!

His wife, Giovanna, made lunch today since my husbandàs aunt is sick.  Iàll have to look up what she has, but it sounds like some kind of herpes of the colon or liver or something (tough to say b-c my medical Italian is particularly poor, but also no one seems to have a straight answer).  A rash on her belly and back and she feels awful. 

So now, after everyone is done resting up, weàll head to the hair salon owned by one of my husbandàs cousins, and Iàm going to get my hair cut!

Then tonight I bet itàs more church...  Hubby thinks theyàre trying to save us.

Tomorrow night we are going to have dinner with our best friends who live here, and I heard that she is pregnant with number 3!

So thatàs it for now.  I think I have eaten pizza five times total (1 Pittsburgh, 2 Boston, 1 Pizzo, 1 Lamezia).  Gelato at least 3 times.  2 cannolis (both in Boston, one Mikeàs, one from Modern).  Lots of wine and a few beers.  Iàm telling myself itàs helping my legs heal...

Okay, also going to try to post a few photos if I can!

A baby to see in Pittsburgh:


The rest of the Boston pics will come later, but this was the sign meeting us at the airport:

The day after the race, the state house in Boston:

Our walking path in Boston:

Second pizza in Boston:

Cannoli from Mikeàs Pastry in Boston:

Cannolis (one for me, one for hubby) from Modern Pastry in Boston):

My airplane dinner in coach:

My vegetarian airplane breakfast, yes, a rice cake:

A Hello Kitty car in Pizzo!:

Pizza in Pizzo:

Piazza in Pizzo:

Aperitivi in Pizzo:

Ravioli in Pizzo for dinner on first night:

View of the beach in Pizzo, from the castle where we got engaged and then married!

That is it for now!  A la prossima volta!

No comments:

Post a Comment