Sunday, March 6, 2011

Sucky Run

I suppose I was due for a sucky run, and at least it wasn't during a race.  I can point to any number of causes.  We had 18 miles this morning, including 8 at race pace. 

I think I went out a bit too fast.  The weather was ideal, so that kept my heart rate low.  But then my number one enemy made an appearance -- the bright sun.  Ugh.  It sucked my energy.  We were supposed to start race pace at mile 8, and then move back to easy at 16.  I only had a few miles at race pace.  But my heart rate wasn't even close to where it should have been.  Nonetheless, I felt wholly incapable of going any faster.  Besides going out too fast, and it being sunny, I'm guessing other contributing factors were being at the wedding last night -- which meant drinking, heels, and late bedtime -- all probably doomed me this morning. 

The good parts about the run, however, also existed.  It felt like the miles passed pretty quickly.  I'd look at my watch and wait what felt like a minute or so and then look again -- up until about mile 17, I was usually pleasantly surprised to see that actually I'd run another half mile or more (and no, I wasn't running any 4 minute miles!).  I ran solo much of the time.  But even if I didn't hit the right paces, at least I got another 18 miler out of the way. 

I cannot believe how close the race is.  22 miles (with some race pace) this coming weekend.  Then probably another 18 or so the weekend my mom is going to be visiting.  Then I think it's another 18 but it includes the Dallas RNR half marathon!  We'll run a couple miles easy to warm-up, then 7 or so at race pace, then we can let it rip for the last 6 -- technically it's supposed to be at half marathon race pace, but I think if we want to go faster, our coach won't care.  Then a few miles cool-down.

I'm kind of pissed we're not racing the whole thing.  It just feels like a waste of a race.  I mean, why should I pay $100 to run a half when I'm going to have to run marathon pace for half of it, and hence no PR probably.  I guess it'll be good practice for me to lock in on race pace when surrounded by others -- good practice at not going out too fast.  But still feels like a waste -- a waste of money and a waste of a lackluster race posting on my racing results spreadsheet. 

Anyway, I bet we start tapering after that.  Probably 15 or so that first weekend in April, then 10, then Boston!! 

My garmin locked up after the run today.  I stopped the timer and went inside to stretch.  I changed shirts so I wouldn't get too cold and I know I bumped it a couple times (and I heard it beep for losing the satellite signal).  I got home and realized it was locked on the last screen -- showing my final time and miles and my last registered heart rate.  I tried unlocking the bezel, nothing would work.  The buttons did nothing.  I plugged it in to charge and it wouldn't register that it was charging.  So I spent some recovery time searching for help online, and registered a complaint with garmin customer service, which is of course closed on the weekends.  Anyway, eventually the battery died and it beeped.  I plugged it back in to charge and now it seems to be working fine.

The rest of the day was great -- I got to do a bunch of blog reading and book reading.  Watched some tv (finally saw last week's Bachelor).  I organized my closet somewhat -- mostly just moving dry cleaning and laundry to where it belonged, but I also chose my outfits for the week and hung them in the order I want to wear them where I normally keep the dry cleaning.  And I cooked something (saffron black bean orzo) that I can eat for lunch a few days this week.  I feel so prepared for this week to get underway.  It's awesome! 

It'll be great to be ready for another busy week.  But hopefully after this next week, things at the new job will settle into a sustainable routine. 

1 comment:

  1. Ugh, my Garmin totally did that on the day of my first 10K!! I was so mad, and the only thing that "fixed" it was letting the battery die. Unfortunately, it died BEFORE the race, so I didn't get my splits, etc. during the run. Ah, well - c'est la vie, I guess.

    P.S. SO GLAD you are loving the new job!

    ReplyDelete