Saturday, March 26, 2011

All Quiet on the Southern Front

Not much to report, which is a very good thing when you're at T-3 weeks and 2 days to the marathon!

Also not much time to post lately.  I had so much fun with my mom here, and now I'm attempting to buckle down at work.  I told a few people that I thought the set-up at my new job wasn't really fair.  I report to a VP and he had my email address at work before I started, so he started sending me emails before I started.  So when I had a password to log in, I already had a bunch to do!  I've been trying to dig out ever since, but I'm still completely loving it. 

On Tuesday, I went to the track with my group, so that means I felt confident enough that my left calf injury (well, more of a red flag than an injury) wasn't going to prohibit me from being miles away from my car.  We had three mile repeats since this week is like a mini-taper for the half-marathon tomorrow.  I ran the first one with my group and was happy with my time.  A little faster than it was supposed to be, but within an acceptable range.  We had a lap of cool-down and I decided I wanted to run the next two repeats on my own, rather than relying on anyone else to pace me.  So I set off for repeat no. 2 and was 2 seconds faster than the first.  Did my lap cool-down and set off on the third repeat solo, and it was dead even with the second repeat.  Woot!  So three mile repeats all within 2 seconds of each other.  I love how steady I get when I run a lot.

Tuesday night, we went to see a new movie, Win Win, which is best known for having Paul Giamatti in it.  I liked it, hubby loved it.  He guessed it was one of his favorites in recent history.  We also saw The Lincoln Lawyer last wknd with my mom, he also really liked that one.  He should not get a job as a movie critic.  Right now on Netflix, we're watching Hanoi Hilton (my choice!), and he also really likes that, but he's seen it before.

Wed. I went to camp and ran home.  Because I seem to be a slow learner (and because I took last Wed off from running when I was worried I was seriously hurt), I completely forgot about my miserable run two weeks ago, where I was starving on the whole run home.  It happened again.  Fortunately, it will either happen again and again for only 3 more weeks, or I'll remember some of those weeks.  But when I'm going to work out for an hour and then run afterward, I need to eat an extra granola bar or something in between.  Knowing me, I'll finally remember on the last week before Boston!

Wed I ate like crap all day.  I'm not used to having so many sweets available at work, and I'm a sucker for free food, esp when it's cake.  So I ate enough cake during the day to feel sick.  Then I went and just had cheese for dinner.  I hadn't planned on that, but we had our homeowner's association meeting.  I knew there would only be snacks that would have to be my dinner, but "snacks" meant just some cheese plates.  Oh, it was so good though! 

I need to get down a better routine for eating at work.  I was trying to follow Bella's model of prepping my lunches for the week on Sunday, but of course with my mom here, it didn't happen.  I have access to a microwave, but no freezer, and I don't like using this microwave.  So I need to make a lot of lunches that I can eat cold or at room temp.  This coming week I have some store-bought prepared foods to take, a bean salad for a snack each day, and a pasta dish I can eat cold for lunch.  But stocking up on all that meant my lunches were significantly more expensive than usual.  Not a big deal for sure for now, but if I do this permanently, it will have an impact that's not good.  I'd rather find some good recipes and start making this kind of stuff myself, though it requires more work.  I'm definitely going to go back to making the chickpea smash that I heard about from NewlyWedNewlyVeg, but I need to find more recipes and get on it.

Thurs was a short easy group run (mini-taper).  And then our Italian conversation group.

And then it was already Friday!  This weekend I have so much to do to feel like my life is back under control.  But I really only have one day -- today!  I need to run a few miles, get the house in order and run a bunch of errands.  Tomorrow, hubby, a bunch of friends, and a bunch of strangers, and I are running the RNR half-marathon!  I'm not going to PR.  Instead the plan is a 2-3 mile warm-up before the race (parking at the finish line and running to the start), then 7 miles marathon pace, 6 miles half pace or faster, then after the finish line, doubling back for a couple miles of cool-down. 

That should only take the morning, but it's turning into a whole-day event.  After the race, we're going to stay and hang out for the Bret Michaels concert.  My godson and family are coming, and almost all my current running buds will be there too.  After that, I think we'll come home and get cleaned up, then we're going out for a pizza celebration dinner.  My husband's fave meal is pizza but his rule is that we only eat it once a month -- well, his fifth half-marathon ever (and his last, he claims), justifies the March pizza celebration.  Should be a fun day, but won't be productive in terms of making me feel ready for the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment