Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Hills are your Friend

I have always hated running hills.  This morning was our first day of hill training.  I was a little surprised we didn't start hills earlier.  Boston is 6 weeks from yesterday.

I did surprisingly well this morning.  We had a 3 mile easy warm-up, then a one-mile hill loop five times, then two miles cool down.  At the outset, I set my expectations low. 

Especially after Sunday's train wreck on a long run.  But when I filled out my running log at work yesterday morning, another explanation for the bad run became painfully obvious -- I'd just gone 2 straight weeks without a rest day.  Admittedly, one day each week was kind of a semi-rest day, it was just going to boot camp but barely doing anything, taking it very easy.  But still, that's more than two weeks without a single day completely off working out.  I was due.  So I took a rest day yesterday, but still wasn't sure how much I could ask of my body this morning. 

I figured I'd be happy if I could push hard for two loops.  But then I said 3.  Then 4.  And I was completely willing to dial it back on the final one, but even that one was pretty good. 

And as a side bonus, my garmin seems to have recovered (and thanks to Seattle Runner Girl for reminding me that it could have crashed at innumerable worse times; at least I was able to see my total run time and distance, and even my average per-mile paces and heart rates; not bad really). 

My legs are TIGHT right now, but hopefully they'll loosen up, though I'm fully prepared for a stiff and painful day.  Either way, happy to have pushed so hard and run so strong on my least fave workout.

I just have to keep my nose to the grindstone.  This week and next week are going to be tough.  Busy at work, highest mileage of my life, and TOUGH miles.  Plus my mom's coming to visit, so hopefully lots of cleaning will also happen! 

But I can make it for two more weeks.  So many people around me seem to be battling injuries or burning out.  I am hoping I can make it.  A couple more weeks, then we dial it back for a week, then one more up week.

Just keep going, keep going, keep going.  I need to make some time for stretching somewhere.  That might help too.  Can't believe how close it's getting! 

No comments:

Post a Comment