Thursday, March 10, 2011

Best Day in Ages

Yesterday, after I recovered from whatever blood sugar or exhaustion issue I had on my short run, turned into one of the best days I've had in ages.

My list of activities isn't particularly entertaining.  As usual for a Wednesday this time of year, I got up and went to boot camp for an hour with hubby.  After that, I ran home with Joy (she kept me company for the first half of the run).  Then I went to work.  Instead of going out to lunch or eating at my desk and working through, I went to a doctor's appointment for moral support.  Worked the rest of the day.  Went straight from work to the social run.  Then stayed after the social run for dinner with friends.

Notably, this is the first year I haven't gone to church on Ash Wednesday in at least a decade, probably longer.  It's something I need to figure out.  My church has had some issues over the last year with some social policy stuff, and they're losing me.  The Dallas diocese is parting from the national church, whether formally or informally, and unfortunately for me, I live in Dallas.  Another subject for another day.

But yesterday was one of the best days ever for several things that happened during the course of an uneventful sounding day.

First, I was happy to go to work knowing I'd knocked out nearly 6 miles already that morning and I only had 8 on the schedule for the day.  Wednesdays are always tough for me.  On Tues or Thurs, it's no prob to run 10 or so miles, but Wed I cross-train in the a.m., so adding miles on top of that is hard logistically and physically.

Then, perhaps one of the biggest reasons for yesterday being awesome, at the doctor's appointment, it was very good news.  I don't want to go into detail, but it's been an ongoing issue.  I posted about it in the fall.  Someone very important to me in my family had surgery right before I started this blog.  Good.  But then in the fall, it was bad news.  ICD needed, more surgery, maybe unemployment and all kinds of other not good consequences.  Patient decided to hold off on any decisions for 6 months and then to get another reading and then possibly a second opinion.  The big appointment was yesterday and the news was good.  Major recovery and progress.  No new device needed, no imminent surgery (or unemployment).  MAJOR source of relief.

At work, there were two good things.  First, I got a message from the office manager at my old job.  Good news.  The motion for summary judgment I'd worked really hard to develop had been granted.  They were all celebrating the win, and part of me kind of wished I was still there to celebrate with them but I am really so much happier at the new job, though this was a momentary pang.  And then, good news at my new job -- I found a material mistake in a document that was fairly widely used (not our doc, but our client's), and brought that to the attention of our VP, who brought it to the attention of the client, who was very grateful, and I was credited for my "eagle eyes." 

Then, I went to the social run.  Hubby met me there with the final touch for my special pre-St. Pat's outfit and he had some very good news.  All our vacation details are finalized.  We'd held off on making some flight reservations within Italy because we had some unresolved details.  Everything is all booked, even the rental car.  Awesome!  That will have to be a detailed post soon.  In short, the trip is Pittsburgh, Boston, Lamezia Terme, Lecce, Brindisi, Paris, Pittsburgh, home.  Woot!  And as a bonus, lots of direct flights!!!

I ran with this guy whose company I always enjoy.  Easy conversation, awesome pace.  Perhaps a little faster than I should have gone, but it felt good, and since I'd done so many miles that morning, I didn't have too many p.m. miles on the schedule, so it was okay to be a little fast becuse I didn't go long enough for my heart rate to get too high.

We were among the first people to finish the run.  My coach was waiting and the end and he got everyone to scold me for coming in too fast, but it was all good-natured fun when I was able to prove that my heart rate was okay.

Then they had some give-aways for social run attendees.  I won the best possible prize for me!  A gift certificate to my favorite running store for a running class!  So I guess I'm definitely going to do another marathon after Boston, likely this fall, and my training will be free! 

What a wonderful, wonderful day.  My soul was singing, my heart was light, and my smile felt permanent -- wrinkles be damned!  Seriously, the medical news was a big relief, the vacation is exciting on the horizon, work feels perfect, etc.  Woo HOO!!! 

1 comment:

  1. You had a really active day! This may be a dumb question, but what's a social run? I'm guessing it's a running club or something that you're part of?

    ReplyDelete