Thursday, March 8, 2012

Pack Running

Back in Dallas now, and woke up this morning to light rain.  I've been very reluctant to get my weighted vest wet.  I don't know how it will handle the water.  I worry I might end up with some moisture in the individual weight packs, and I wouldn't want anything to get moldy or smelly (make that "smellier"). 

On Saturday for the long walk, I'd practiced wearing my pack the entire 27 miles.  It made my shoulders and lower back very sore, but at least I proved to myself that I'll be able to handle it.

Tuesday morning I had an early flight for work, and hubby runs solo very early Tuesday mornings, so I decided to run with him instead of with my group (since a group run wouldn't let me catch my flight on time).  I woke up at 3:xx (does it even matter if the first number is a 3?) and we were running by just after 4.  I had decided to go with the pack instead of the vest.  I figured it was a good idea as I'm getting closer and closer to the race.  And the good thing was, I figured if I really had trouble running with it, he'd be there and I know he's strong enough to carry it for me. 

I actually ran an entire half marathon with it back in January, but I feel like I'm out of practice. 

Well, with the rain this morning, I decided it was a good morning to do another run with the pack.  Today I was going with my group, and it was the first time I'd done that.  I was slower than with my vest, but one of my running buddies is having some foot issues, so it didn't seem to bother them that we went a bit slower. 

Maybe I'll toughen up my shoulders some.  And my lower back can turn into one big single callous and then maybe it won't chafe?  I need to figure out a solution.  Even wearing pants with no zipper or tag in the back waistband, and wearing tons of body glide, I still end up with major chafing pain where the bottom of the pack hits my lower back. 

Just a few more weeks I have to keep telling myself... 

I'm actually contemplating signing up for a speed running class as soon as the marathon is over in hopes of regaining some of the speed I've lost this year.  Just an idea right now.  It would be lots of track running, which I actually enjoy, I just know it will be frustrating to acknowledge how slow my current starting point is.  It might be a fun way to try to build up some quick speed when I'm finally done with the weight. 

Just an idea.  I'm not signing up for anything until the race is over and I see if my feet and legs actually survive. 

Oh, and did I say that I found out I will be flying straight from the marathon to the east coast for work?  That will be fun... maybe I should pack my crutches.  Haha.  That really is going to be an ugly day of travel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment