Monday, March 19, 2012

FMM: Online Dating

If you’ve taken part in Friend Making Mondays, then you know the rules. If you’re new, please take a moment to answer this week’s question on your own blog then add your link in the comments section at: http://www.alltheweigh.com/ so we can all see your FMM questions and answers. Please invite your blog readers to add their links here too so everyone has to opportunity to be seen. The idea is to connect with other awesome bloggers so take a moment to post your own FMM post and comment on a couple of other posts. Now it’s time for this week’s topic!

FMM: Online Dating

Have you ever tried online dating? No, but I think I looked at profiles once on Match, just never registered, created a profile or contacted anyone.  Couldn't say when that happened.  Probably around 2001?  Something like that. 

If you’ve done it, what did you like about it? What did you dislike?  N/a

If you haven’t done it, would you? If you have done it, would you do it again? Why or why not?  Obviously since I'm married, no.  But if say I were suddenly single, I don't think I would, but of course it's too hard to say.  I've been out of the game for a while (I was actually dating someone else and had been for years when I met my husband; hubby and I were friends for a long time before we started dating), so maybe it's better, more common, easier, whatever now. 

What precautions would you take before going out with someone that you met online?  I'd probably want a criminal background check and I'd probably be more comfortable meeting up with a bunch of friends for the first meeting. 

Do you have a favorite dating site? If so, what is it?  N/a

What questions would you ask before agreeing to a date?  I had a long checklist that I'd made for the dream guy during years of dating frustration (filled with must-have characteristics (like single, employed, kind, veggie-friendly), and bonus points (like someone who would catch and release bugs in the house instead of killing them; someone who likes to dance at weddings)), so I think I'd want to establish some of those things, but in reality, I think it's easier to find out if there's chemistry and mutual attraction with an in-person meeting, so I'd rather cut to the chase and know sooner rather than later. 

How long would you correspond with someone online before meeting them? Probably not long, I'd think a few emails then maybe I'd invite them to a friend's party or a race, or something like that, where I'd know a lot of people.

In your opinion, what are the pros to meeting someone online?  It's maybe easier to find out if your "must-haves" are there without the confusion of a personality.  I also think someone dating online may be more interested and ready for a relationship, as opposed to a guy who you meet through friends or an activity who may be single, but isn't interested in getting into a relationship. 

In your opinion, what are the cons of online dating?  You can invest a lot of time without realizing there isn't a mutual attraction, and it might be too easy to filter out the right person because they don't seem right on paper.  Like if I'd been dating online before I met my husband, I probably would have set 10 years older than me as my outer parameter.  But surprise, we're 11 years apart.  So maybe what I'd think were my requirements would end up filtering out the right person. 

Share a funny or embarrassing online dating experience with us if you have one. N/a

Now it’s your turn! Don’t forget to post your answers then go back and link up in the comments at alltheweigh.com! Happy Monday friends!

4 comments:

  1. "Filtering out the right person because they're not right on paper." I've probably done that 100 times simply because people who can't spell and don't have good grammar seriously annoy me. To me, if you can't manage those things, I can't manage to talk with you. I just cannot do it. But 90% of my communications are done online or by text message as I HATE being on the phone. I don't really care what you look like, but that right there is a deal breaker every time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grammar and spelling would have the same result for me. I just think that if I'd been looking online for a date, I might have capped the age difference at 10 years and instead missed out on the right guy who is 11 years older than me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had set up my profile to look for taller guys - but the one I found & ultimately married is a bit shorter than me! Guess the right one doesn't always fit within set parameters!

    Stopping in from FMM - hi!

    ReplyDelete
  4. agree, we have to look pass whats on paper sometimes :)
    stopping by from fmm

    ReplyDelete