Monday, June 13, 2011

Life in a Sports City as a Non-Sports Fan

So everyone here is pretty much going crazy over a basketball win last night.  Even crazier than when the Dallas team made it to the World Series (where they didn't win).  And way more hype than when the SuperBowl was here a few months ago. 

Another crazy thing is how little I care.  I mean, I'm so happy that all my friends who care so much are so happy, but part of me really just doesn't get it.

I had a brother playing professional baseball a few years ago, and I was definitely willing to travel across the country to watch the games and I cared A LOT.  But I'm not related to anyone who plays for the Mavs, or the Rangers, or the Cowboys (though they didn't get to play in the SuperBowl even though the game was here). 

Like what is the point in spending so many hours of your life staring at a tv screen and cheering for some highly paid athletes?  And even worse, when the team you like loses, being in a pissy mood afterward?

In my mind, watching a game live is completely different.  That to me is like regular entertainment.  Kind of like going to a concert or a movie.  But it's not something I'd want to devote most of my free time to.  I could see going to a game every week if there was a team you loved, but with baseball especially, what a beating to be spending so much of your free time watching others be out there doing stuff.

I don't get my guy friends who this morning were talking about having a sportscry.  What does this have to do with their lives?  Really?

But the other odd thing is that I felt like I was starting to get a little more into sports when I was dating the last guy I dated before my husband who loved college basketball.  How different my life would be maybe if that relationship had kept going instead of ending.

I'm really happy to have found someone as a husband who is almost as mystified as I am about how much people seem to care about how well athletes do their job.  There have been a few very rare occasions where he's wanted to watch sports, and I try not to complain.  He likes watching several sports in the Summer Olympics, so every 4 years that's fine.  And he likes watching World Cup soccer, but mostly just Italy's games, so again, every 4 years that's fine.  And occasionally if he finds college wrestling on tv, he likes to watch that, but since we don't even have the sports channels saved in our tv guide list, it seems like he watches wrestling about every 3-4 years.  That works for me. 

And I'm also glad he's not a golfer.  While it would be cool if we both golfed, I have so many friends who feel like they're basically single on the weekends b/c their hubbies spend the days w/o them, off on the golf course.  That I certainly understand as a hobby/passion, but at the same time, I'm glad it's not my hubby's hobby. 

Anyway, the Mavericks won and people here are happy.  I don't really get shaping your mood based on the outcome of some sports game, and I don't get spending so much of your time watching others "do" instead of doing yourself, I'm happy that the people I like who care are happy.  What an awkward sentence! 

1 comment:

  1. I hate watching sports on TV or in person, unless someone I know is playing. Boring. ;-)

    ReplyDelete