Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Racing Plans in 2013

I've said it before, but as I'm working on my 2013 resolutions, I'm clarifying it even more in my mind.

My running plan for 2013 is to work on short distances at a faster pace until the beginning of May. 

Then in May, I'll try to start increasing the distance.

Then in June (actually right around Memorial Day), I'll officially start marathon training.

The main race will be Berlin on Sept. 29.

I hope, hope, hope to get my PR there (specifically, by 11 minutes and change, though I'm already nervous about whether I can make that happen, let's just say my "long" run yesterday was a crash and burn culminating in a miserably slow pace).  And then I'd like to spend a couple weeks celebrating, going first to Oktoberfest in Munich, then to Nicastro, Italia to see my husband's family, and then to Venezia for a couple days just the two of us.  But wait, I was thinking about racing plans. 

After Berlin, I'm considering some fun -- a trail marathon in California called Stinson Beach on Nov. 2.  One of my best running buddies moved to San Fran, and I bet he'd do it with me.  And one of my brothers lives there now too, and I bet he'd do it as well.

I traditionally like to run San Antonio in mid-November simply because another running buddy moved to San Antonio, and it's kind of a traditional girls' weekend for a couple of us to go stay at her house and run the race there.  But this year San Antonio was moved to Dec. 8, which is probably the same day as the local Dallas marathon. 

While I don't love the Dallas race, it will likely be the most convenient back-up race if I don't make my goal in Berlin.  And I know myself well enough to know it's good to have a back-up race for any big PR effort. 

I will probably wait until we get back from Germany and Italy in mid-October to decide on San Antonio and Dallas -- if I hit my time in Berlin, maybe I'll go to San Antonio for fun even if I miss Dallas; or if the Dallas race is a week earlier or later than San Antonio, I might go to San Antonio as well, because I'd really like to run or cheer in Dallas; or if I don't hit my time in Berlin, I'll register for Dallas probably, regardless of when it's held (presumably Dec. 1, 8 or 15).

So apparently my San Antonio history will have to break this year (either because I want to run Dallas that day, or just to cheer for my favorite local marathon), but no big deal.

Other races on my calendar --

A fun 10k next weekend to practice marathon pace for 5 miles, and picking it up for the last mile (I thoroughly expect to fail at this, but I have to try). 
A 5k based on donuts at the end of January. 
A 10 mile race at the beginning of February (hopefully a new PR, beating my miserable sole 10 mile attempt ever, which was a hot race in 2012).
A 5k in March, my favorite race ever, for St. Pat's Day, and my speed coach will determine if it's a PR attempt or a fun run.
A 5k solid PR attempt in April, not sure yet exactly which race.
A marathon PR attempt in September (Berlin).
A half-marathon attempt possibly in late October.
My first trail marathon possibly in November (Stinson Beach).
A traditional 8 mile race on Thanksgiving (it will mark 11 straight years for me, my longest streak).
And possibly another road marathon in December (locally, my PR attempt back-up). 

Should be a lovely (and hopefully PR-smashing) year of racing for me. 

3 comments:

  1. Niiiiice. Looks like 2013 is going to be a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stinson Beach wow that would be incredible. I've heard about it before. That will be no easy task, but from what I understand the beauty of the course greatly outweighs the uphill climb. I don't about that Cardiac Hill though! Sounds like a really fun race schedule. I'm in the process of preparing mine and hope to share it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a busy year planned, but a solid plan for chasing your PR - I hope you make it!

    ReplyDelete