Friday, January 25, 2013

Company on my commute!

Yesterday was one of my best commutes to work ever. 

To start off the morning, hubby was off work and so he slept in.  I got up at 4:45 and went to meet my running buddies.  Unfortunately, turned out a tough run was on the agenda.  Lately, since I'm not coaching any runners this year, I've kind of enjoyed just showing up "blind" in the morning -- no idea how far or how fast we're planning to run. 

Yesterday's plan was 2 easy, then 4 miles each getting progressively faster, then 1 mile easy.  I managed to stay with my friends for the 2 easy and 3 progressively faster miles, but then I was unable to step it up more for the final tempo mile, so I fell behind.  They waited for me before finishing up (and actually, two friends were behind me, so we all waited to regroup).  But I got home feeling proud of myself for the pace I ran. 

I ate breakfast and by then hubby was awake so we had coffee together.  He was getting ready to head out for a run, so I asked him if maybe we could coordinate and leave the house at the same time, and then he could run with me on the first mile or so of my commute.

Score!  He said yes.

So we set out, together, on my commute.  It was kind of foggy and fairly mild (I was in short sleeves and shorts).  He didn't know my exact route, so it was kind of fun to show him.  When we were getting close to mile marker 1, he said he'd stay with me until 1.5

We parted ways on the campus I run through, and I ran the last 2.25 solo, but in a great mood.  It was just nice to mix it up and have company on the run.  He doesn't run as much as I do and has never done a full marathon (I think he's done about 5 halves).  We don't run together very often and sometimes it kind of drives me crazy because he's pretty inconsistent on pacing -- he speeds up and slows down a lot with no apparent rhyme or reason, but it was a lot of fun this morning. 

My most memorable commute in quite some time. 

1 comment:

  1. Great job with your run! I thought I woke up early but you have me beat. Amazing :)

    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete