Tuesday, November 20, 2012

New Routines

Today was day one of my "running commute."  My watch showed my route at exactly 3.75 miles.  Not bad.  I think I went the absolute most direct way possible.  Even more direct than how I drive!  But since I drive on the highway and this way had a total of 3 traffic lights, it will not be my new driving commute.  But there wasn't too much traffic.  I ran from my house to the running trail, up the trail to the top, on a residential street to the university (SMU), through SMU's campus, then over to another residential street, then I took that all the way up to the parking lot for my office complex (office was at the far end, so I had to run past a grocery store, a book store, and a couple restaurants to get to the office).  It was really nice.  Relatively flat.  Most of the stop signs are 4-way, and most people here yield to pedestrians, so the only places I actually have to stop will likely be the 3 traffic lights, and I caught one of them green this morning, one is frequently fairly deserted, so that meant today only 1 real stop. 

The plan is that I will drive to work on Mondays, bring all my lunches and clothes for the week, and then drive home Monday nights.  Tuesdays I will run to work and then run home.  Wednesdays I will run to work and then either run to the social run (kind of on my way home) (and then run some more with friends at the social run, then go to the bar and then hitch a ride home with a friend) or run home.  I'm sure it will take me some time to build up to being able to do the social run on Wed nights.  Anyway, Thursdays I will run to work and then hubby will pick me up when I'm done (so I can bring my laptop and all my week's worth of laundry).  And then Fridays I'll work at home as usual.

This week is a little different with Thanksgiving, so I'm actually going to work at home on Wednesday, which meant that I could run to work today, but I need a ride home tonight, but fortunately my office is on hubby's way home, so he can pick me up.  I'll just have to be ready by about 6:15 instead of my usual 7:30ish. 

I'm so excited about this new plan.  The gym at work is awesome.  I actually did about 8 minutes of arm weights after my run today.  If I could routinely do that, I'm sure it would help.  I only used 3 machines, a total of 4 exercises, but every little bit helps I think.  Then I used the locker room to shower.  Need to bring shower shoes!  But they have soap, shampoo and conditioner, which is nice -- I'd brought my own just in case.  The shampoo smelled really good.  And they have a hair dryer and hair spray. 

I was able to leave my house at about 7:50 and be sitting at my desk at the same time as usual today.  Not bad!  I tend to get ready much faster when I don't have to make any decisions about clothing, shoes or jewelry, and when there's no tv, food, or household chores there to distract me. 

1 comment:

  1. I think it's awesome that you are able to run to work. Sounds like a great plan for your week. I only work a couple miles from home, but I go in at 11pm and would have to run through a very shady part of town.

    ReplyDelete