Friday, November 16, 2012

Movies

I'm not sure when I stopped going to the movies regularly. 

I moved to Dallas and passed the bar in 2000, and I know that in about 2002 or 2003 or 2004, I could look at the list of top 10 current movies and feel like most of the time, I'd seen all of the ones on the list that appealed to me (and often a few that didn't, chosen by the man of the hour or a friend).  I always felt like I'd seen most of the top 10 list.  It seemed I went to the movies about once a week.

But at some point that ended.  I have no idea why. 

Then there was a time when a friend always had a big Oscars party and at the firm I worked, there was an informal contest to see who could come up with the best sentence incorporating all the titles of the best picture nominees.  (The examples I came up with that I remember:  Capote was on his way to Munich when he got into a crash on Brokeback Mountain and said "good night, and good luck."  When the queen started to babel about letters from Iwo Jima, little Miss Sunshine had heard enough and departed.)  So for those years, I made a point of seeing all the best picture nominees.

But at some point, even that ended.  I have no idea why. 

Films being released held less interest for me?

Movie theater experience became more irritating and cumbersome?  (Other than at the artsy theaters here, seems like there are always kids, phones, and people going in and out, which was definitely a factor in why I stopped enjoying going.)

Going to movies with my husband was never our "thing"?

Netflix?

Other allocations for my free time that I preferred? 

This year I've seen a few movies, but I can't even remember the names or plots other than the Bourne movie and one about a woman who had an affair with her neighbor, left her husband for him, and then became equally miserable.

But there are now 3 on my list for the remainder of 2012.

Two books I really enjoyed have movie releases next week, around Thanksgiving, and then one movie opens around Christmas.

My 2012 film plans:

Life of Pi, a great book.

Anna Karenina, one of my favorite books of all time.

Les Miserables, my favorite musical.

Now, the real question is, could I see the first two on that list between Wednesday (the day before Thanksgiving) at 4 p.m. and Friday (the day after Thanksgiving) at 7 p.m.?  It would be more in theater movies in that short amount of time than I've done in many, many years.  And hubby might object, wanting to add in a movie of his own. 

But it strikes me as worth a shot! 

3 comments:

  1. I can't even remember the last time I went to the cinema for a non-Children's movie, and even those are rare. I would love to see the 3 films on your list as well, but it is unlikely. I hope you'll share your thoughts about them. I saw Les Miserables as a teen on Broadway. It was such an incredible experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Les Mis is something that looks FANTASTIC to me. I didn't even realize until the preview of Skyfall that the director wanted all the actors to sing live as they were acting the musical and not pre-recorded! That's even MORE fantastic.

    Have a wonderful weekend! Some movies I wait until I can rent it but the action blockbusters I reserve for the theater!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All three of those movies look really good to me, too! I think you should do a bit of a marathon movie watching jaunt this weekend. It sounds like it would be a great way to end the year doing something you haven't done in years, and you might possibly start a new tradition going into 2013.

    ReplyDelete