Thursday, August 29, 2013

Yoga over Running?

Yesterday I elected to do a yoga class instead of running.  Who am I???

The answer I suppose is someone who has been doing marathons for about a decade.

Someone who has a running coach certification.

Someone who has a marathon in exactly one month.

Someone who really, really, really feels like she can't afford an injury right now!

So after five consecutive weeks of 45 or more miles per week, I had the calf pain on my long run.  I took several non-running days (did some core work and weights, but no running at all).  I then did some pain-free track work, but by the time I got to my easy miles that day, it hurt again.  So a couple more days off.

Then a solid but slow 20 mile run with no pain.  All good.  But then I was out of town for work, so I took another rest day.  And then one solid Tuesday run with my running buddies, still all good.

But then I tripped and fell at boot camp the next day, twisting my ankle and scraping the hell out of my elbow when I missed a very oddly (non-regulation shaped) curb. 

So a few more days off, but that was kind of inevitable since we were traveling for my 20th high school reunion and I had to move around my long run a bit anyway.

So the bottom line is that I had five weeks in a row at 45 or more miles per week, followed by two weeks of 28-29 miles per week. 

Not ideal just before you start to taper, but it is what it is, I'm mostly focused on being glad that it wasn't a more serious injury and that I now feel as good as new.  I'm lucky and I know it.

Haha, I couldn't help but sing that sentence.  I'm lucky and I know it -- name that tune. 

So this week, instead of jumping back in with both feet, which I might have done if I hadn't been doing this for about a decade, if I hadn't had to learn way more than I ever wanted about running, if I had more than a month until my goal race, or if I weren't super-focused on hitting my goal at Berlin, I have proceeded with caution this week.

I ran with my friends Tuesday morning and today (today was track again, very tough).  And I ran to work very slowly both those mornings.  But I haven't run home at all, and I drove to work yesterday.

I can't really completely credit my intelligence for the decision to drive.  Somehow I was short one outfit at work (my garment bag was actually packed from a couple weeks ago, before I had to drive my commutes because of the injuries).  And I had gotten the notion of going to yoga yesterday instead of doing a run home from work.  Plus the whole thing about knowing better than to build back up to doing too much too soon! 

So yesterday I drove to work, and I drove home, and I went to yoga after a quick dinner.  Instead of getting 7.5 slow commuting miles, I got an hour of a new-to-me type of yoga that was awesome and let me know this morning I'd done something to my muscles. 

The class description should have clued me in:
Sunstone’s Wood series serves to improve overall performance with a fusion of yoga, Pilates and our unique, resistance stretching - Pain Free Yoga™

Wood class is designed to strengthen and balance weak areas in the body deepening active range of motion while working on active strengthening techniques. It is the ideal complement to any of our other class offerings. Enjoy Wood as a stand-alone experience, or attend Wood as part of a progression for a well-rounded and restorative fitness experience.

Temperature: ~90° Humidity: ~60%


So yeah, I'm sore in all kinds of weird places (hamstrings and under my rib cage particularly) and I'm proud of myself today!  I expect my miles for this week will end up around 45, which isn't bad since the schedule has us at 56.  If I'd picked running instead of yoga, I would have been in the low 50s this week, closer to on target, but closer to a possible set-up for reinjury.  I expect next week will probably be similar in miles since I'll lose a commute day with the office being closed for Labor Day. 

And then I just need one very solid tough week and I'll be into the taper.  Whew!  I'm just getting so excited!! 

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes it's nice to mix it up, and like you said, your muscles definitely can tell you that! I haven't tried the wood class at Sunstone... just the fire, but the wood sounds like it would be a good one for runners! I did the 10 days-for-$10 a few years ago at Sunstone and made it to 7 of the 10. The third time I went was the worst... thought I was going to pass out in the class, but by the end of my 10-day trial, I really enjoyed it and felt like it made a difference. BUT sunstone is insanely expensive, so I never joined. I've paid for a drop-in class here and there, but nothing regular.

    Good job for getting out there and trying something new and listening to your body as you make your way to your marathon goals!

    ReplyDelete