Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Reunion Fun

Of my graduating class of about 325, about 100 came to our 20 year reunion last weekend, which seemed to be a great number -- I got to see many of them and had time to visit with those I cared about. 


Our class was very lucky that a few people took charge of the reunion and did an amazing job of organizing it.  There was a photo booth, a photographer roaming to take candids and group shots, a buffet, special vegetarian meals, a cash bar, a showing of our senior video, about a 15 minute slideshow of photos people submitted, and a dance floor that eventually filled up (playing the greatest hits of the 90s and today!). 


What was most interesting to me was seeing how some people had changed, or hadn't.  Obviously we are all about the same age, but some people looked so much older, and others looked so much younger, like we were maybe at a 5 year reunion.  And there didn't seem to be any clear theme other than guys who lost or were losing their hair definitely looked older.  Some had gained weight, but some of those people didn't look any older.  Some had lost weight since the 10 year (myself included I think).  A couple people had probably lost weight since high school but not many, and the ones who come to mind for the most part seemed to look older than I'd expect.  Some people seemed to have about the same build as in high school -- and yet some of them looked older, some looked the same. 

Another interesting aspect was to see how personalities have changed.  The two women who come to mind as the main organizers were both prom queen types.  I was acquaintances with them in high school (I'd gone to Europe with one, and I took 4 years of French with another), but we never were what I would call friends -- no dislike, but never socialized.  I would have probably assumed they were kind of snobs since they both definitely ran with the cool kids.  Both of them now seem insanely wonderful, kind and friendly, not at all clique-ish.  But a couple of the guys seemed to have matured not a bit, which was kind of funny and maybe a little sad. 

Overall, I'd say it was more fun than the 10 year reunion, though the 10 year had much more surprise since it was pre-facebook.  Even though I've gone off FB this year, I still remembered details about the people I was friends with and that was kind of fun because it gave us common ground and easy conversation -- I knew who had kids, who runs marathons, who lives in the same area, some jobs, etc. 

But of course the best part was being with my friends.  Some of them I hadn't seen since I got married, and others I probably hadn't seen in 10 or 20 years.  Yet it felt like not a moment had passed and I spent so much time laughing and reminiscing with them.  It's so funny to hear stories that people remember in which you played a part but of which you have no recollection. 

One woman was there who I remembered but I wouldn't say we were close in high school, aside from maybe freshman year -- she definitely gravitated to the "bad" crowd, while I gravitated to the debate crowd.  Anyway, she was telling me that when we'd met in seventh grade, I got her hooked on Days of Our Lives.  It was so funny to hear that.  When I was in 5th and 6th grade, we lived in Minnesota and I used to spend a lot of time at my best friend's house there, particularly in the summers, and her mom watched DOOL.  And therefore she knew all about it and when we played Barbies, she always wanted me to pick who I'd be and I had limited choices -- Kayla, Hope, Jennifer, etc., all characters from DOOL.  So I'd picked up on the show and would sometimes watch at her house (definitely not allowed at my house!), and apparently I hooked someone else who still watches.  I watched on and off in college, and even a bit as an adult since my husband and I started living together, but I've been off it for about 5 years now.  Maybe I'll go back.

It was amusing to hear other stories where people remember me doing or saying something, or being there, and I had no memory of it.  And of course I had some of the same -- things I remember doing or saying with others and they didn't remember. 

After the reunion was winding down around midnight, there were several groups standing and talking, including us with a bunch of my friends, making plans to go to a nearby bar to keep the fun going, making plans to meet for breakfast the next morning. 

Totally awesome weekend! 

3 comments:

  1. How fun! I haven't been to any of my high school reunions. I left and never looked back, but your post kind of makes me want to go back for my 20th. I've got my 10 year college reunion coming up in the spring and I'm 80% committed to not going, but maybe I will. I went to a small liberal arts college, so everyone knew everyone else. I went for my 5 year and had a blast, but 5 years later, I'm not sure if I really want to live in the dorms for a long weekend ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't encourage you enough to go to college and high school (I wouldn't go to my college b/c I feel little connection, but I definitely have enjoyed the law school one I attended). It will bring back so many memories, and relationships are what makes the world go 'round!

      Delete
  2. I watched DOOL too as a teen and later in college. The other day at the nail salon DOOL was on and I felt like I had just entered a time machine. Just for fun put it on someday. Many of the same actors are still on it and they look like they haven't aged a day! It's wild.

    I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your reunion. I have never been to a reunion. My class was not very close and I see enough on FB.

    ReplyDelete