Monday, May 20, 2013

FMM: Getting To Know You

I had a busy weekend including a rest day not by choice (i.e., the bad kind).  We didn't really do much Friday night.  The big adventure was actually driving to the suburb where we'd left my car parked after my big victory as first overall female in the beer mile on Thursday night.

Saturday was a 5k -- I stopped along the route to kiss my husband and got passed by a woman!  And I couldn't catch her.  Ugh.  It was a warm and humid morning and I didn't pace well.  I managed an AG award and actually very good placement (huge field, many of whom walked), but it was about 15 seconds slower than my other two 5ks in the last month.  It felt a lot slower than that.  But as soon as I finished, I went back for my accounting buddy who was doing her second 5k ever. 

After the first one, we made sure the logistics were better on this one.  We met up very early, well in advance of the race.   As soon as I finished running, I doubled back for her.  She was having an amazing race.  We ran most of the last 3/4 of a mile together, just a couple short walk breaks.  And I was a bit disappointed to see her run hard for the last minute or so of the race.  I told her afterward that she shouldn't have done that -- it meant I knew she had more left in the tank and we should have skipped some of those walk breaks and picked up the pace earlier!  Haha.  She was like, "oh no..."  I'm so excited at how much she's improving.  She finished the 5k in about 42 minutes, and given the large field, she ended up around the 50% mark of her AG, which I think was very encouraging for her.  So proud of her!!! 

After the race, we hung out for a while, eating and drinking, waiting for the AG awards and listening to music.  I finally got home after 10:00 (maybe after 11) and then it was all work, no play.  I had to get cleaned up and feed myself.  Then I was volunteering from 2-4, and after that I went straight to a northern suburb for hubby's godson's first communion and confirmation (I know they are usually separate, but he is a special needs child and the bishop allowed him and a girl with Down's Syndrome to do them both together).  It meant a lot to his parents, I could tell, and I was so happy that we were able to be there with them.  It came together on short notice and they don't have any family in the US, so I think the extra support for them was nice.  Afterward, we went out for a pizza dinner at the communicant's choice of restaurants.  Unfortunately, that was not good -- he was mostly excited about the soda fountain, and his parents let him get all the refills he wanted.  The pizza was not great, the restaurant's AC wasn't working, so the temp was in the low 80s in the restaurant, but the company was good and hubby's godson was very happy (particularly with his soda, he didn't really eat much pizza). 

By Saturday night, I was starting to feel some serious pain in my left leg, in the upper inside part of my calf (probably gastroc again? same thing I had in '07).  So I decided to take off on Sunday morning.  It was the first official day of marathon training, but it was just a prediction run to determine pace groups.  Since I know what group I'm training with, the run wasn't necessary, so I took the extra day of rest.  Unfortunately, it still hurts today.  I went to boot camp and took it easy, but it makes me nervous...

I spent the day Sunday after I got up cooking, I had an elaborate menu for book club at our house that night, and it went well.  My next door neighbor came over to help me cook, and I ended up sending hubby over there for dinner to eat with them and I just made extra portions to send with her.  So both our houses had the same meal for dinner.  The meal was good and the company was wonderful.  Lots of time talking and laughing. 

And now.... Monday.  The agenda for today (to the extent I get to control it):  interviewing two candidates for open positions, and finishing a draft of a report.  And paying bills!  And icing my calf! 

If you’ve taken part in FMM then you know the rules. If you’re new, please take a moment to answer this week’s question on your own blog then add your link in the comments section here at: www.alltheweigh.com so we can all see your FMM questions and answers. Please invite your blog readers to add their links here too so everyone has to opportunity to be seen. The idea is to connect with other awesome bloggers so take a moment to post your own FMM post and comment on a couple of other posts. Now it’s time for this week’s topic!

Getting To Know You
 
1. Have you ever been skinny dipping? No, I don't think so (at least not after about age 5). 

2. If you could choose an exotic vacation destination today, where would you go?  I blame Kenlie for this since her post mentioned the Dalai Lama, but I think I'd like to go somewhere like Nepal, Bhutan or Tibet right now.  Mountains, clear air, different culture, something to engage me mentally and physically.  Someplace with countless things to see and do, and where I could also relax and just soak up everything around me. 

3. Do you prefer to live in the city or the suburbs? The city 100%.  Second choice would be the country (somewhere like where my folks live, many miles from "the city" of 4,000 people, totally remote).  And then third choice would be anything else, and last choice would be the suburbs.  Saturday night with hubby's godson was a good example -- we had to drive to a restaurant because there is nothing in walking distance of their house, it was in a strip mall, and it was a chain.  That is pretty much the opposite of what I like. 

4. If you could paint, draw or illustrate any masterpiece in the world, what would it be? I would love to capture something like the night market in Chiang Mai, Thailand, where there is a dynamic that would so hard to portray in an image. 

5. What is your favorite dish to cook when you’re cooking for one?  I pretty much never cook for one, but I guess I sometimes make quiche or boxed mac and cheese for lunch if I'm home alone -- the quiche can last for several other meals, which is nice. 

6. Who has recently influenced you in a spectacular way?  No one comes to mind, is that sad?  I guess maybe a running friend who just had a PR that makes me very jealous.  I'm trying to tell myself that if she can do it, I can do it. 

7. Have you ever considered dating a person who’s younger than you? If so, how young would you go?  I didn't start dating my husband until I was 29, and at that time, I think I would have gone as young as about 24 or so.  And it's hard to think in the abstract now since obviously I'm not dating, but at age 37, in theory if I had to date again, I could see going as young as about 27.  It would obviously depend on the guy, but it seems many guys grow up in their mid-20s, and as long as you're both pretty grown up, I don't think an age difference matters too much. 

8. What do you typically wear when you’re at home with no plans to go out? I usually stay in whatever I was last wearing.  On a day like Friday when I work from home, I spend all day in my workout clothes after I get home from boot camp.  On a day like Monday, when I get home from work and have no plans to do anything else, I stay in my work clothes.  On a day like yesterday where I'm not working out or going anywhere, I'd probably stay in the t-shirt and shorts I pull on when I wake up. 

9. Do you prefer a shower or a bath? I prefer showers.  We have a nice tub with jets and everything, but I mostly just use it after long runs if I need an ice bath. 

10. When you meet strangers are you outgoing or more introverted?  It seems to largely depend on the circumstance and my mood, but I guess I'm generally more introverted.  Sometimes I just want to do my thing and be done, but if I'm going to have to be around people for a while, sometimes I'll try to reach out.  But where there's a reason I'm there, I usually like to focus on that -- there are always people who seem to give less than 100% at boot camp and seem to enjoy commisserating more than working.  I'm the opposite, and even when hubby wants to say something during camp, my general thought is, "less talk, more action."  I'm fine with not knowing anyone's name or chatting with anyone, I just want to go and get my work out done, and then get home to get ready for work.  It's rare that I feel like I'm with strangers without a purpose -- like on a plane?  But then I guess I also like to keep to myself, though I've chatted with more strangers on planes in the last year than maybe in my whole life until this year combined.  If someone talks to me, I'll respond, but generally I do my own thing.  So I guess that makes me introverted?  But if I'm just interacting with a sales person or something, I'm happy to make some conversation. 

Now it’s your turn to answer this week’s questions. Don’t forget to come back and link up in the comments! Say hi to someone new this week, and have a happy Monday!

1 comment:

  1. I take full credit for #2 so take me with you when you go. =)

    xoxo,

    Kenlie

    ReplyDelete