Thursday, February 7, 2013

Walking to Fitness

For some time now, I've been trying to get my favorite person in accounting at work to go to a 5k and walk it.  She's indicated a desire to do it, and last year even signed up for (and planned to do) my favorite race in Dallas, the 5k on St. Pat's weekend.  But then at the last minute her husband backed out and she didn't want to go alone, so she didn't show up.  I got a sad text from her that morning after the event as I'd left my phone in the car. 

But since it's such a fun race, and she wants to get into better shape anyway, and she wants to do the event in theory, this year, I'm trying again to convince her to sign up for and do the 5k. 

And this year, I've gone a step further.  Last week, I asked her if she'd consider bringing workout clothes to work, and then going down to the gym with me and walking on the treadmill for a little while after work one night (ideally once a week, but I figured we'd start with just once). 

I told her not to overthink it, just to bring her stuff.  What's the worst that could happen?  She hated doing it and wasted 20 minutes of her life?  (She has a heart attack?  I didn't say that since I wouldn't consider it a real risk, plus I do know CPR.)  In reality, she wants to do it, her doctor wants her to do it, she thinks she'd be better about doing it if she had company, her husband and daughter haven't demonstrated that they are reliable walking buddies, and we have a great goal race ahead in 6 weeks. 

The very next day she brought her stuff, but it so happened that we both had plans that night.  I told her a Tuesday or Wednesday night would be best and we made a plan for this week Wednesday night. 

I think she was worried that I'm going to try to make her go too fast or something (she actually said that she watches The Biggest Loser and saw the trainers pushing up the speed on the treadmill), or that I'll be bored or something.  I told her I'd be on the treadmill next to her (if they're all full, I'll do weights or something), and that the walking would be a good warm-up for me before I run home.  All she has to do is 15-20 minutes, any pace she wants.  I love the idea of getting her to run for just the last minute, but I wouldn't want to scare her off.  And I really love the idea of directly helping someone else squeeze in a workout.  Very excited for her. 

So last night was the big first night of walking together after work. 

We just did 20 minutes on treadmills right next to each other and talked the whole time.  We pushed the speed and incline up a bit over the last couple minutes, and we both broke a sweat, but we were walking (no jogging or running).  We stretched afterward and then I ran home.  I'm so proud of her for doing it, and we already agreed to walk again next week.  I hope she's not too sore today, I haven't seen her yet. 

My plan for next week:  5 minutes longer, picking up the pace over the last few minutes again, and less eye contact while chatting so we don't have to hold the rails. 

Just so excited about it. 

And it paid off for me last night -- second fastest run home ever.  I missed a personal record by about 15 seconds, and I know I was stopped at the longest light for at least 15 seconds.  Oh well, those are the breaks.  I'll break the record for real one day, though I'm not on a mission to do that or anything, most days I just note what the time is, but occasionally it feels good to push hard and see what I can do.  But I'm attributing the pace primarily to our walking warm-up.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you Carina, from another woman who always wished someone would offer that kind of support and encouragement. I always knew I had to ultimately do it on my own and I am, but it never hurts to have someone help along the way; someone to motivate and challenge you. You are a very kind person for what you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an awesome story! So uplifting! Also this:

    I Nominated you for the Liebster award! It`s sort of like a chain letter type of award, pretty cool and kinda fun!

    http://wisdomcouragepower.blogspot.ca/2013/02/the-liebster-award.html

    Stay Awesome!
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a nice thing you're doing! I've been that woman in accounting - wishing to have someone to walk with, but so worried about holding someone back because I can't walk that fast. I your walking buddy is going to flourish with your help, and I have a feeling she'll be walking in that St. Pat's 5K this year.

    ReplyDelete