Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Forging Ahead

So I'm officially getting sick for the first time in 2012.  Not too bad, considering I usually seem to get a few bugs over the average winter.  Went to the doc in a box last night and was given antibiotics.  I had assuemd there would also be steroids, and was a bit disappointed there weren't.  I want to get over this as fast as I can -- and I'd assumed a shot or pills would help. 

I need to be better by Saturday to be exact! 

Today feels about the same as yesterday, certainly no worse, which is good.  I had a very restless night last night, as did hubby, but he seems to be a bit better today.  He actually went back to the doctor yesterday and they ended up doing chest x-rays and all because he has some fluid in his lungs.  But if he's finally turning the corner and starting to improve, hopefully it won't hit me quite as hard, and I'll be just a couple days behind him. 

Saturday is my last big day of walking.  This week I'm lining up friends to meet me and keep me company for the 9 hours. 

There are so many things I'm going to try to do differently from last time.  While this walk will be likely identical to my last one in terms of time (and it will be completely identical I'd expect for mileage), I am going to try to wear what I'd like to wear on race day (and that means wearing the weighted pack for the entire 9 hours; last time I wore the pack for 6 hours and the weighted vest for 3), and finally, I am going to work very hard at getting my hydration and nutrition down.

Last time my hands swelled like crazy after about 7.5 hours of walking.  By the time I got to 9 hours, I was worried my wedding band would either split or cause permanent damage to my finger.  So this time I'm going to hopefully take in more sodium, more water, and more calories.  I'm also going to attempt to keep my arms somewhat bent, more like in a running position, which will hopefully stop some fluid from pooling in my hands.

I'm also going to leave the rings at home, and I'm going to wear one of those funny hats with the little brim all the way around, since I've been advised to wear something similar to that on race day.

Today I'm going to take the final step in preparing for the marathon -- I'm booking my plane tickets.

And I'm officially going alone.  I was hoping a friend of mine who lives in San Antonio would be able to join me, but she can't.  Hubby can't because he leaves for Italy 2 days after the race.  And most of my friends here are either busy that weekend (there is a big half in Dallas), or male (and hubby would be peeved if I went with a guy, no matter how platonic it is). 

The idea of going alone doesn't really bother me that much.  I don't know that anyone else would want to have the same experiences there that I do -- I want to go hear the survivor stories, and spend most of the day before doing stuff like that.  And I like the idea of being able to wholly set my own schedule.  The time when I'll most miss having a friend there will be when I actually strap on the pack and set off.  Most mornings here my bestie tightens all my straps and everything.  I will likely have to rely on a stranger to do that, but I don't think that will be too difficult. 

But after plane tickets are booked, there's no going back in my mind!

1 comment:

  1. I hope you feel well soon. I am so inspired by you and this race. I think your time there will be very interesting an so rewarding. I look forward to reading about it. All the best as you finish up your training.

    ReplyDelete