Thursday, October 27, 2011

Fascinating...

I don't write much about work, but I am working on a case now that is absolutely fascinating.  There has been so much exciting stuff happening in the last day or so.  The basics are that some police departments and others are seeking reimbursement for some expenses.  Well just before I started eating lunch today, I finally got documents relating to what they're asking be repaid and it completely floored me.  It presents about a million legal questions (some of which undoubtedly have no real answers because this is an obscure statute). 

I took these documents to my supervisor and basically said, can I go full-time on this case for the next month?!  I love it so much!  He laughing said of course I could b/c the numbers would justify it.  I know realistically that I can't just neglect my other cases, but this one just makes me want to start working and never stop! 

I can't help but think how different this feels from where I was a year ago.  Or 5 years ago.  Or 10 years ago.  This is my third job as a lawyer -- first a big firm, then a small firm, and now here.  And I love it so much more.  At the big firm, I got some really interesting cases, but the lifestyle as a whole was such a beat-down.  At the small firm, there was a huge sacrifice in terms of the quality of work but I had a much better lifestyle (to me, it's no coincidence that my husband didn't propose while I was still at a big firm).  And now I've found the perfect balance.  Cases I love, amazing colleagues, great hours, etc.  It was completely worth paying my dues for more than 10 years after law school to end up here. 

So with that, I think I'm done eating lunch and will dive into esoteric reimbursement statutes and maybe do some eminent domain research!

2 comments:

  1. So envious of your career. I'd always planned on going to law school. I kind of 'fell' into accounting, went to school at night and got my certificate in paralegal but would have had to have taken a pay cut so I never did it. Now at my age I just can't justify the expense of law school and I honestly don't want to work those hours. But if I could have a do-over....

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the best feeling to know that you're fulfilled in your job, isn't it? I'm so glad you found the perfect balance.

    ReplyDelete