Monday, July 19, 2010

The co-pay scam

Went to the ortho this morning and paid the co-pay to get no new information really.  He looked at and felt my feet and concluded that I need to stretch and ice, and wear orthotics and gel inserts.  They took some x-rays and it was the first time I haven't been asked if there was any chance I'm pregnant and forced to wear some kind of smock cover.  I'm not sure what to make of this -- I look thin enough that I couldn't be pregnant?  I look so old I couldn't be pregnant?  X-rays are no longer potentially damaging?  Or the x-ray tech just spaced out and could have nuked anything that had been in me?  Obviously if I'd had any fear that I was, I would have said something once I realized I hadn't been asked, so it's all moot, but I wonder why they didn't ask.  My money is on the fact that I must look too old to have children now.  Interesting.  Anyway, the x-rays didn't show anything -- my bones are very dense on my heels, but he said that's normal for someone who has run for a long time.  There's also apparently some bursitis behind my left heel, and a lot of plantar fascia tenderness on both feet, particularly on the right.  But he said race day won't be a problem.  I have a follow-up appt on 9/1, and if I'm still hurting, he said he'll do a cortisone shot on 9/13 that will get me through race day.  That's my kind of doctor!  He said he'd been out there at the 15k yesterday and slowed a lot with the heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment