Thursday, September 22, 2011

One Item on the Breakfast Menu...

Hills!  First day of hill repeats on our marathon schedule.  We had a day of rolling hills a couple weeks ago, but I was out of town for bachelorette party fun (still need to post about that!), so I'd missed the hills.  This morning our schedule was 7 miles including 6 repeats.  We ended up a little short on the distance, around 6.5 miles, but it was great.

We ran the 2 mile warm-up, which included running down our big repeat hill.  Then we took a water break and started our repeats. 

Starting elevation, 466 feet, ending elevation after about.25 miles, 535 feet.  So if this hill stayed steady and went for a mile, it would be like climbing 280 feet in a single mile.  That would be a solid hill, but of course we don't have that here, we have to run down after ever 70 feet. 

We went up that 6 times, and down it 6 times.  Then surprise, we had to run our 2 mile cool-down, which meant back up that hill again! 

I was way behind my group on the repeats b/c I tried to keep my pace very easy and didn't worry about whether or not I crested the hill, but no calf pain again.

So in the last week, the only pain I've had was when I attempted to step up to marathon pace.  Hopefully a couple more weeks of staying at a pretty easy effort will get rid of the remaining inflammation in my soleus and I'll be back to kick some butt in October, and then take names in November! 

Hills for breakfast, followed by a double veggie sausage patty with cheese English muffin and a spinach-peach-cherry smoothie!  Yum!  Good start to the day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment