Monday, September 12, 2011

FMM: All About Me

Back in Dallas after a crazy but fun-filled bachelorette party weekend, followed by some time with my family.  No energy to recap yet, but thought I'd do FMM again instead! 

If you’ve taken part in FMM then you know the rules. If you’re new, please take a moment to answer this week’s question on your own blog then add your link in the comments section here at: http://www.alltheweigh.com/ so we can all see your FMM questions and answers. Please invite your blog readers to add their links here too so everyone has to opportunity to be seen. The idea is to connect with other awesome bloggers so take a moment to post your own FMM post and comment on a couple of other posts. Now it’s time for this week’s topic!

FMM: All About Me

1. What are your talents? Our boot camp instructor one time made the mistake of posing this question to us (what's your superpower) -- and cracked up at my response.  I said proofreading (though I'm sure this blog is not a good example of that).  I'm a talented proofreader. 

2. What is your best habit? I'm very reliable.  When I make plans, I don't ever flake out (if I were in the mood, I'd link to my post about New Year's Eve from this past year, when I'd agreed to run 9 miles that morning with a group of friends and I had a horrible cold, but I didn't want to flake, so I went anyway). 

3. If you had to be stuck with someone in an elevator for 8 hours, who would you want it to be?  I'm assuming family isn't an option on this, b/c I'd be happy with any of them over the age of 10 for 8 hours.  Especially my new sister-in-law and sister-in-law-to-be, because it would be fun to get to know them better.  So assuming the question is looking for a celebrity, I'd go with any Supreme Court Justice.  Or elite runner, especially a marathoner.  Or Will Ferrell, because he'd make me laugh I bet, unless he's an uptight tool in real life and just funny in movies.  But I'd guess he's frequently funny in real life too. 

4. Share one odd fact about you that we’d never know to ask.  When I learned a bit too much about dust mites, I used to wash my sheets every day so there wouldn't be as many dead skin cells for them to feed on and hopefully the population would die off. 

5. What’s your latest project (work, home, whatever you care to share)?  2.5 years after getting married, I'm working on completing a wedding scrapbook that we got as a gift.  It's a lot of work!  I'm not a big scrapbooker, but I love photo albums and journals, so this will be a neat combination of the two when it's done I hope. 

6. If you could change one thing about how you look, what would it be?  Where to begin?  There are a lot of things I'd like to change about my physical shape, especially my mid-section.  That would be my top option.  Behind that, probably my behind.  In terms of face, I think there's too much skin around my eyelids, so it would be nice to get rid of that.  I have a very good friend a bit older than me who hasn't ever gotten married (though now I'm wondering if that may change) and she always used to say that she was going to do a plastic surgery registry when she turned 50. 

7. What do you do in your spare time?  What's spare time?  I guess I can't say running, since that's not really spare time, it's more like something on my schedule.  Evenings or weekend days with no plans, I like to do projects (like the scrapbook), cooking and baking, watching tv, reading, napping!, reading blogs, planning the next vacation, calling friends who don't live nearby.  Nothing too crazy or interesting...

8. What is your biggest pet peeve? Possibly peoople who flake out on plans, which is probably why I try to be so reliable, see above.  We don't like to have plans every night, but there are a certain number of nights when I want to do something.  Especially on one of the Friday nights when we both are able to sleep in the next morning.  We sometimes plan on doing something just the two of us, but if we want to go out w/ other people, we make plans with them, and then if they flake (when we have rejected other options in the interim), it irritates the crap out of me.  A friend of my husband's invited us over for Thanksgiving a few years ago, a very big deal since we don't have family here, so we need to make our own plan.  I love eating my fave foods, and hosting people at our house for Thanskgiving, but he wanted to see his friend so I agreed.  Then THE DAY BEFORE, they told us they'd changed their plans and were going to spend the day with some other friends so that their kids would have kids to play with.  Leaving us with no groceries or meal plan yet to make our own meal, no reservations, and no plans.  I try hard not to hold grudges, especially since my husband loves this guy and I know things happen, but it's something I still think about (though actually it wasn't in my head until I'd already written this was my biggest pet peeve and I decided to try to think of an example). 

9. Why do you blog?  I like having the chronicle, sharing a bit of my life with others, and especially getting insight and comments from others. 

10. Are you tidy or messy?  Probably somewhere in between.  I like things put away, but I don't worry too much if the furniture is dusted.  I'm probably messy by nature (my mom would swear this is true), but I try hard to fight it.  I like things put away. 

11. What’s the last song that played on your iPod?  Livin' on a Prayer.  My niece knew all about iphones and wanted to play with mine a lot while I was visiting.  She's only about 5 years old but she was asking me if she could download some songs and when I said no, was just playing selections off the music that's on there. 

12. Do you cook? If so, what’s for dinner tonight?  I love to cook but since my flight landed around 11 last night, and it took me another hour plus to find my car, drive home, and get to sleep, there won't be any cooking tonight.  Our default choices -- ready-made Indian food and brown rice we just heat up, monster salads, veggie burgers, pasta and jarred sauce, or Chipotle (right across the street).  Given all the indulgences this past weekend and the extra pounds showing up on the scale, assuming the fridge is fairly well stocked, my choice will be monster salad tonight. 

13. Do you like sports? If so, list your teams. No, I pretty much hate professional sports.  I think it's my husband's view rubbing off on me.  He hates so much that people get so worked up -- and often get into fights -- over some pro teams that have nothing to do w/ real life.  My bro played professional baseball for a while, and I would absolutely love a sports team if I had a family member on it, but I just can't see wasting that many hours of my life watching others "do" as I sit on the couch.  I'd rather "do."  I like watching running -- Olympics, televised meets, etc., but it's rare that I do that. 

14. How often do you read and/or watch the news?  Today Show most mornings, and that's about it.  I've posted before about how poorly at least some of their facts are checked before it's reported, so this is probably a big disservice to me.  Occasionally at night we'll watch RAI 24 (which is all news, in Italian, very different, and sometimes notably VERY gory), or BBC News.  But I don't usually pay full attention. 

15. Did you stick to your new Year’s resolution this year? If so, elaborate. I just posted about this in the last few weeks (I think the tag "resolutions" should pull it up).  I haven't stuck to most of them, but I've accomplished a couple and a few others are in progress. 

16. What are you looking forward to most in the remainder of 2011? I'd say my brother's wedding in October in Milwaukee.  But this coming weekend will be awesome, marathon weekend will be a lot of fun, Thanksgiving is always great, and of course I love Christmas! 

17. Shoes, sunglasses or handbags?  Hmm, I guess handbags.  Definitely not sunglasses.  I'm a cheap sunglasses person b/c I have a long and storied past including dozens of lost pairs. 

18. How do you feel about sleeping on satin sheets?  I think of satin sheets as very 90s and pretty tacky.  I remember sleeping on them, but I don't think I ever especially liked them.  I'll stick with plain cotton.  But as I posted above, I used to be kind of a freak about my bedding, so for the most part, we only have really good sheets.  Worth the money, but very expensive...

19. Do you sing in the shower?  Nope.  Not very musical. 

20. Describe yourself in one word. Right now the word might be Tired, but overall I'd go with Content or Happy. 

Okay, going to hit post and share my link.  Hopefully I'll have time at lunch today to read some others' posts on the same subject.

6 comments:

  1. Stopping by from FMM. I love handbags, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love livin on a prayer. Great song, and great blog. I am following you now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for being a great proofreader! That's a great response!

    Hmm...I should probably make a wedding album, too. We just celebrated 3 years. Oops!

    ReplyDelete
  4. stoping by from hmm and I love reading your answers..tacky 90's sheets hehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grr - that's a good pet-peeve! My husband's best friend did something similar to us. DH asked friend to be his best man at our wedding & his son to be our ring bearer. 3 weeks before the wedding, friend says they can't make it, sorry. Then claimed he never knew they had a part in the wedding! BS. I was next to DH when he asked! I still have hate twinges when I think about it- 5 years later!

    ReplyDelete
  6. um, i still can't believe they would cancel a holiday meal with you the day before! that is beyond flaky. it is incredibly rude. and their reason is lame. like they can't possibly have you two and their other friends there at the same time!? good grief. i'd be seething mad if i were you.

    it was fun to read all of this and get to know you better.

    ReplyDelete