Thursday, February 10, 2011

Non-running soreness

Yesterday's snow day seemed a little pointless.  By mid-afternoon, it hadn't warmed up much, but enough cars were out that the ice on the roads melted for the most part.  So I did something different.

I ran to work. 

Woot!  It was only about 4.5 miles, and could have been shorter if I'd made a couple different turns.  This was my first time doing that since we don't have shower facilities at the office.  But since the office was closed today, it didn't matter if I was sweaty and in running clothes.  The miles were pretty slow -- I ran in the streets, but since I was heading downtown, there were several places that had a bit of traffic so I had to move to the sidewalks, which generally were considerably icier than the streets. 

I woke up this morning in pain.  Mostly lower back pain.  As soon as I isolated what really hurt, I had no question it was from boot camp, as a result of my poor form on some exercises, and that it would go away within a day or two. 

This was our workout at boot camp yesterday morning.  We ran between each station. 

30 knees-in, an ab exercise
30 high knees/prisoner-run style
10 tuck jumps
20 curb jump squats
30 mountain-climbers
30 push-ups
30 knees-in ab exercises
30 wood-choppers (may have been a parial culprit for my pain)
30 in and out squats (likely the primary cause of my pain)
30 split squats
30 jumping jacks
20 or 30 squat thrusts (can't remember how many)
20 cherry pickers
30 knees-in ab exercises

And we had to go through that circuit three times.  For the in and out squats, you squat with your feet together and touch the ground, then jump into a squat with you feet apart and touch the ground.  The reason he makes us touch the ground is that too many people cheat when you don't have to touch the ground.  But I found a way to cheat while still touching the ground -- instead I bent with my back more instead of using good form on the squats.  Oh, what a mistake...

My legs are fairly sore too -- mostly hamstrings and groin, but it's really my lower back that hurts.  Oh well.

I skipped the run this morning because our coach emailed us last night and said "Friday is the new Thursday."  Because of all the ice yesterday, some of which remained today, our Thursday 10 miler (including 4 fast miles!!) is moved to tomorrow.

This scares me.  I'm going to have 36 miles in 3 days.  I've never done that before.  10 tomorrow.  6 Saturday easy.  Then 20 Sunday easy.  Wow.  Here's hoping I feel solid and strong on Monday, instead of broken! 

No comments:

Post a Comment