Friday, January 7, 2011

Sick but Strong?

I'm reluctant to post this for two reasons.  First, I do not like to admit that I'm sick and fear that admitting it may in some ways make it come true and/or magnify it.  Second, I do not like to admit that my legs are feeling strong because I fear admitting that is setting myself up for some major pain or soreness.

Hubby is sick, sick, sick.  He actually went to the ER on Wednesday because he was having so much trouble breathing.  He's home in bed today, still feeling miserable.  I'm definitely not that bad. 

I am coughing a lot sometimes "productively" (eww), and my nose is crazy runny when I'm exercising.  But I'm worried I'm right on the cusp of heading down the road hubby is taking.  He apparently has an upper respiratory infection.  Last year that happened to both of us more than once, so I'm hoping to dodge the bullet this cold season.

But my legs are crazy right now.  The new group that I'm training with does not stop for water during weekday runs, you just carry your own and sip as needed.  That means the runs are tougher for me.  I'm used to having a little break every couple miles.  Tuesday I felt like I was really struggling.  Our pace felt significantly faster to me than it actually was.  But then yesterday, I don't know what it was, and our pace was actually a few seconds faster than Tuesday, but I felt good.  Sure, I could have happily stopped to walk at any point, but I was fine with continuing.  Our route on Tues was 6.7 miles (counting our slight detour when we got off track), and our route Thurs was 7.3 miles. 

Tues I seemed to have my normal aches and pains.  My left hamstring has been tight for weeks.  But Wednesday I went to boot camp (without hubby who was already feeling bad) and felt great afterward.  Thurs was the real change though.  I stretched after my run as usual and got home and still felt awesome.  No achiness had settled in during my drive home.  I tried to stretch my hamstring while I was getting ready for work and that twinge that had become so familiar seemed to be gone.

I went back to camp this morning, again solo, and am still feeling great. 

So lungs and nose are ranking around a 4, legs are around a 10.  If only it weren't so cold out, maybe this cold would go away and I could be having some complete 10 days. 

Oh, and I'm contemplating something crazy for Sunday.  We have a 14 mile run on the schedule.  We start at 6:00 and should be done by 8:30 at the latest.  I'm actually considering going from there straight to a special two-hour spin class.  I haven't done a spin class in years and a friend is trying to convince me to do this one.  And I'm not sure it's a bad idea, though I'm not sure it's a good idea either!  Hmmm... what to do? 

3 comments:

  1. Okay, warning - lawyerishness ahead. If you are afraid to admit to being sick for fear of making it come TRUE...but are afraid to admit to feeling strong legs for fear that it WON'T be true...okay, my head hurts a little, but I think that's kind of illogical. lol

    Seriously? We ALL have moments like that, where we think, "I can't say that out loud, it might make it come true!" But if you can't come to your own blog and be real about what's going on with you, then what have you got it for?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you don't get sick!!! But if you do, I hope it goes quickly.

    And I agree with SRG - if I had strong legs that could take me for miles and miles like that I'd scream it from the rooftops!! (But everyone is different, and it's perfectly fine to be illogical on your blog - you can do whatever you want on it!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, completely illogical. Sick and don't want it to be true; strong runs and don't want to jinx it!

    ReplyDelete