Monday, January 24, 2011

Close Call

Strange coincidence of events today. 

I went to boot camp this morning but hubby and I drove separately so he could go straight to work.  Left the house at about 5:15, as always, feeling rushed, as always. 

Aside:  About a year ago, one of the prongs on my engagement ring bent.  He took it in to his jeweler and got it fixed.  Either we didn't inspect it closely or it bent again in the exact same spot within a couple days (and this was after wearing it daily non-stop since Oct. 2007, so my instinct is that it wasn't fixed correctly, but I'm not placing blame).  Anyway, got it back the second time and it was fixed and the jeweler told him I shouldn't wear it for boot camp.  So now I usually leave it on my bathroom counter in the morning before I go exercise.  If I get to camp and realize I still have it on, I put it in a very particular spot in my gym bag.  A spot where technically, it could fall out, but it's unlikely unless I move the bag, which I never do. 

Another aside:  One of my new year's resolutions for this year (well, not so much resolution, as something on my list of projects to accomplish this year that I wrote out on the same page as my resolutions) was to schedule my ring on our homeowner's insurance.  Don't ask me why I haven't done that yet since I've had this ring for over two years.  I think it's because you have to provide our insurer with the purchase paperwork or get it appraised or something, and I am kind of weird about money and I really didn't want to find out how much my ring cost.  I don't even have a good guess.  So I haven't done it yet, but I am fully aware that it needs to be done and I'm living on the edge without it. 

I'm sure you can guess where this is going. 

So I got to boot camp this morning and realized I still was wearing my ring.  So I took it off and put it in my gym bag, but it didn't seem secure (the bag was kind of tipping over for some reason) and my car was nearby so I walked to my car to put it in there but then got distracted by our instructor starting class right when I was at my car.  Next thing I clearly remember, I was starting our 50 jumping jacks that we do at the beginning of class. 

After camp, I drove home and realized while I was getting ready for work that I wasn't wearing my ring.  I planned to look in the car when I went downstairs.

Aside:  bedroom is on third floor, garage is on first floor, and I'm lazy and wasn't overly concerned.

So I of course, forgot about it again, came to work and started working.

Then my husband called because he couldn't remember my social security number.  I gave it to him and then he told me he needed it because he was changing the amount of my supplemental life insurance.  By changing, I mean increasing.  We'd talked about this a while ago and agreed it was a good plan.  Another new year's insurance-related resolution/project (though it was really more of something I wanted him to do).  But I knew what he was going to raise it to and we'd both joked that it wasn't high enough to make it worth it for him to kill me.

So while we were on the phone, I was joking (and I have a loud voice so the insurance/HR person heard all of this) that he should clarify whether he still gets this money if he kills me. Hahaha, we're just yucking it up.  We get off the phone and I keep working.

He calls me back when he's alone and gives me the details.  Turns out, he couldn't raise it to the amount we wanted because there was a cap, so instead he just raised it to the cap.  We got off the phone.  I kept working.

Then, heart attack.  I realized my ring was missing.  Fock. 

Raced (speedwork!!!) out to my car and tore apart my gym bag, which I always keep in my trunk.

Niente (that's Italian for nothing!). 

With my heart beating out of my chest, I went to the passenger compartment to start searching and found it very quickly. 

WHEW!!!

I decided these events are something best not shared with my husband, at least not today!  Glad he hasn't really started reading this blog... 

When I got back to my desk, I kept thinking about how normally, maybe he'd have a good "heat of the moment" / "crime of passion" defense to murdering me if I'd lost the ring.  Especially after he realized I still hadn't scheduled it on our property insurance.  But wow, his conversation with the life insurance people this morning where he'd maxed out my life insurance and had originally wanted it even higher than they'd let him get it, ooooh, the prosecutors would have had a field day with that!! 

Either way, lesson learned:  this weekend I need to ask him to give me copies of the paperwork for the ring, I need to send it to our property insurance company and get it scheduled.  That resolution/project needs to be accomplished sooner, rather than later.  Completely lucky break for me.  I need to go do something nice for a stranger so I can put some good karma out there in the world having used up so much today. 

3 comments:

  1. Yikes! That would just make my heart sink. I'm glad you found it though! Funny story about it happening on the same day as the life insurance increase!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have misplaced my wedding ring a couple of times and it is a scary feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! I would freak out too, I need to get insurance on mine.

    ReplyDelete