Monday, November 6, 2017

Changes

Quiet couple months in the blog world for me lately.  Not for any particular or good reason. 


We went on vacation at the end of September, and then both started feeling crappy on the last day of vacation.  Just bummed to return to the US I guess? 


Unfortunately, we came home on a Sunday night and I had to go to Philly for work on Monday morning.  Of course all my suits were clean and ready since I didn't need them on vacation, but I was kind of doing a sniff test with my underwear -- like can I get by with wearing this again or do I actually have to do laundry in my 14 jet-lagged overnight hours at home?  Laundry was most assuredly required. 


It totally sucked to go to Philly, but if I hadn't gone, my coworker would have had to go in my place, and that wouldn't be fair to her.  It would be like I was on a 4th week of vacation if I wasn't willing to do whatever it took for work, be that travel or anything else.  So Philly it was. 


Philly last week was pretty much a disaster.  Biggest case of my career falling apart all around me.  But fortunately, statistics were on my side.  Almost no civil cases really go to trial, and sure enough, right on the eve (literally) of picking a jury, everything finally came together yesterday.  But it's been a stressful 12 days back in the US.


Finally getting over whatever crud we got.  My husband actually took a sick day, which is crazy for him, especially after more than 3 weeks of vacation.  Work was actually less crazy for him coming back since all cases that came in while he was gone were assigned to other people, so it actually took a week or so for him to be fully back in the swing of things.


The other big change since August...


I got a bike on Labor Day weekend for my birthday!


It was the perfect weekend to buy a bike since Dallas had a weird illogical fuel crisis right after the hurricane.  Slightly less than the usual amount of fuel available, slightly higher demand (people filling boats and cans to go to Houston to help), and then suddenly a major run on the pumps with everyone filling up their car and almost all stations running out of gas completely!  My husband was on call for work and was almost out of gas in his personal car (planned to buy it on the way home on the day all the stations ran out) so he had to drive a work car for a while so he'd be able to get back to work if needed.  Crazy.  So buying a bike was perfect since my office is close enough to ride (or run) to work.  Gas crisis basically started on Wed night or Thurs morning, and was over by the following Monday, which was Labor Day.  I was glad because my car was on a quarter tank, which is usually plenty since I don't drive a lot, but of course I had to fly for work on Labor Day and needed a full tank to get to and from the airport.  Uber wasn't even an option -- no one was driving.  Crazy.  Anyway, the bike was the news -- I'm clearly distracted. 


So my life according to Garmin has looked like this: 

A bit of running here and there, boot camp roughly as usual, and tons of biking! 

It's been fun.  I don't have clips yet because I'm afraid of falling and I'm not good at biking yet, but it's just cool to be able to cover so much distance so fast.  Very unlike running.  It's also nice because it doesn't feel quite as warm when there's a breeze from your speed.  Much less exertion than running, at least the way I've been biking.

But there you have it.  I've broken the seal now, so maybe I can get back to regular writing, or at a minimum, regular reading of my other favorite blogs, which I really miss! 

3 comments:

  1. Hey! Great to see you back ... and honestly the pictures you have posted were amazing! Also loved seeing your various pics with Megan doing volunteer stuff and so on :)

    Cool on the bike also - we didn't get in as much biking this year as usual due to schedules ... crazy with the gas shortages, hadn't really heard about that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back!! I've been MIA on my blog too. I love biking for leisure. Definitely less taxing than running. My bike was stolen out of our shed last summer. It was nothing fancy, but it served the purpose. I "borrowed" my mom's bike this summer. It has the most comfortable seat. Unfortunately we did not get out as often as I would have liked. I would love to live in a bike friendly community.

    Coming back from vacation is such a let down. I always feel like I need a bit of a break after the vacation just to reintegrate back into home life, but typically I hit the ground running. I'm on a flight home now from a short trip to Florida. Instead of worrying about grocery shopping when I get home, I just submitted my Peapod delivery order. It is so cold at home. Not excited one bit!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool that you got a bike! It logically made sense then, but I agree that in general it's such a quick way to get around, even if I don't love it.

    ReplyDelete