Monday, February 3, 2014

FMM: Random Questions

This was a weird weekend.  I'm actually doing an entire week working from home -- Wed through Fri last week, plus Mon and Tues (and then Fri) this week.  It means a lot of time in my workout clothes!

I had made a list of what I wanted to get done on Saturday, and while we didn't manage it all, I was pretty happy with the progress.  What's the point in making a list if you can cross it all off, right? 

Friday night we went to a Mavs game in a friend's suite, which is my favorite way to watch any sporting event.  It was a dramatic finish, but really, aren't many basketball games?  It was funny because my husband is definitely not a basketball fan (contrast with my last boyfriend who was a huge basketball fan, was about 6'5" and played seriously in college).  So when the score was 105-100 with 12.x seconds left, my husband thought the game was basically over.  I knew better and was like, baby, that's a three pointer and a foul! 









We stayed out late enough at the game Friday night that we decided to skip the race on Saturday morning, which is a shame since it's a race I always enjoy.  It's a local race that is age-graded, so first is women over age 90, then women 89, then women 87 and men over 90, etc. (ages are approximate, but you get the idea).  Oldest women start, then oldest men, counting down, then at some point the young kids get involved too (so girls under 8 might start with women who are 68 and men who are 75 or whatever).  And then when your age group gets called, the chase is on.  No age group awards, just first across the line, but the youngest guys start about 30 minutes after the first runners.  Such a fun concept! 

But yeah, we slept in.  We made waffles for breakfast and my local bestie came over for Christmas in February.  We'd seen each other a bunch of times this year, but hadn't had a chance to exchange gifts yet.  That was fun.

And then we got down to the business of a productive Saturday.  Among the things we accomplished:
picked up my car from the shop
picked up dry cleaning from earlier in the week
dropped off dry cleaning (hubby's, not mine, I was in workout clothes all week!)
returned library books
donated our old Christmas tree and a bunch of clothes
completed our Global Entry applications
crazy deep cleaned two bathrooms (we each did one)
put new plates and registration sticker on my car
bought metal ties for the canvas on our porch
affixed metal ties to the canvas on our porch (and my hands were COLD!)
cleaned up the kitchen (but no deep cleaning as planned)

The hardest part of the Global Entry was listing all countries we've "visited" in the last five years.  There was no instruction provided as to what "visited" meant -- a layover long enough to spend money and get some souvenirs (and proof on our credit cart statement that we were there if we didn't list it)? 


But for us, since they don't count Canada or Mexico, it was only 12 countries in the last 5 years (we opted not to count layovers).  That meant it was actually much easier than doing our Russian visa applications where we had to list the last 10 years, which was over 25 for me. 

But still, listing China and Russia makes me a little nervous about whether or not we'll be approved.  I guess that's what the interview is for -- to show them that we just love to see the world and other cultures! 

Sunday I ran a local race but I don't want to talk about it.  Short version is that it was an out and back -- almost.  Oops.  Instead of paying attention, I followed the kid running in front of me, so we doubled back exactly.  Why alarms didn't go off in my head, I don't know.  I knew full well I was over halfway done with the course at the u-turn, but for some reason, I ran the same route back, as did a few others.  So it was like I got a bonus half mile in the race!  Haha.  I was pretty pleased with my position at the u-turn, but by the time I added in the extra half mile or so, I didn't even get an AG award.  When we got back to where we could see where we were supposed to be running, I could see a bunch of women going by.  Oh well.  But the good news is that the extra half-mile didn't cost me a PR, I was too slow even if I'd run the course correctly. 

The rest of the day Sunday was blah -- cold and rainy outside, my friend who was going to come over to watch a movie canceled, I did laundry and cooked and cleaned.  Not too exciting, but it was a good weekend.

And today is more work from home, which is kind of nice for a change of pace.  But I can still start the day with Friend Making Mondays. 

wpid-friend-makin-monday-for-post3-300x179


If you’ve taken part in FMM then you know the rules. If you’re new, please take a moment to answer this week’s question on your own blog then add your link in the comments section here at: www.alltheweigh.com so we can all see your FMM questions and answers. Please invite your blog readers to add their links here too so everyone has to opportunity to be seen. The idea is to connect with other awesome bloggers so take a moment to post your own FMM post and comment on a couple of other posts. Now it’s time for this week’s topic!

Random Questions
 
1. Did you watch the Super Bowl? If so, what was your favorite part?  Not really.  We had it on part of the time since I wanted to see the commercials, but we're not really into football and the last few years the commercials haven't really impressed me.  So I'd say it was on the tv for about 30 minutes total.  I'm a little bummed I didn't watch the halftime show, sounds like it was really good. 

2. What is the weather like where you live?  Lots of fluctuation.  Very cold some mornings, very mild some mornings.  Yesterday for the race it was about 35.  For this morning's workout, it was in the upper 20s, so I was happy to be in a gym instead.  For highs, on Friday it was mid-70s, yesterday was mid-30s, today upper 40s, tomorrow low 60s.  Lots and lots of fluctuation.  I guess if my choice is consistently cold or this, I'd say I prefer the fluctuation.  But of course my dream would be 45 every morning, 82 every day! 

3. When is your birthday?  End of August, I'm a Virgo. 

4. Do you prefer sparkling water or flat water?  Haha, a huge source of controversy in our house!  I prefer flat water and will only drink sparkling if I'm completely desperate.  My husband only drinks sparkling water except when working out.  He hates flat water, again, unless he's completely desperate.  When we were in Germany a few months ago, I was so thirsty and we bought a huge bottle of water.  I asked to make sure it had no gas.  Opened it a few minutes later, gas.  Ugh.  I took a few drinks because I was thirsty, but then we were on the quest for flat water. 

5. How many hours did you sleep last night?  About 8, slept approximately from 9 to 5. 

6. What is your favorite day of the week?   Hands down Saturdays.  There's usually a good rotation in any given month:  filled with social plans, lazy, filled with domestic chores, lazy.  I like the lazy-heavy balance, but I'm glad they're not all lazy. 

7. If you had to choose between riding a bike or swimming, which would you choose?  Hmm, why can't I just run?  I guess I'd choose biking.  You can still go places and be outside.  But I know swimming is a great workout, especially if you have to avoid impact.  I'm just not a very good swimmer.  If I ever get my goal marathon time, I might try to do some tris, so I guess I'd focus on trying to learn how to swim. 

8. How often do you eat red meat?  Never if I can help it.  Last time was in October in Italy.  There was something mixed in with an eggplant dish that my aunt-in-law made and I didn't realize it wasn't vegetarian.  Last time I voluntarily ate red meat in the US was a steak in July 2001.  I went vegetarian for the most part in late May that year, but I still had a handful of times where I ate it for one reason or another. 

9. What time did you wake up this morning?  Alarm was set for 5:00, but I woke up a couple minutes early.  We go to a boot camp together on Mondays that is downtown and starts at 5:30, so we try to be out the door by 5:15 or so. 

10. Do you have any goals for the week?  A bunch actually!  My New Year's resolutions this year were for Chinese New Year's (I'm the ultimate procrastinator sometimes, this seemed like a good excuse), so this will be the first week I try to follow my new resolutions completely. 

Now it’s your turn to answer this week’s questions. Don’t forget to come back and link up in the comments. Happy Monday!
 

1 comment:

  1. the half time show was phenomenal, my favorite of all the half time shows in recent years for sure. Bruno Mars puts on a great show.

    I’m with your hubby, I love sparkling water unless I’m working out. But, I’ll drink flat water whenever I’m thirsty and it’s available, no problem.

    I wish I could say my weekends are lazy days for me, but they’re not. I work so many double shifts during the week, I don’t have time to get my minimum workouts in AND run all my errands and do all my cooking and other food prep, etc done, so I do all the errands and food prep and whatnot on my days off, so they’re slam-packed with stuff to do.

    ReplyDelete