Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Back from China!

We're back!  The trip was absolutely amazing.  China is one of the most interesting places I've ever been (and not at all what I expected based on general expectations and a single trip to Hong Kong about a decade ago).  Light years ahead of the US in some ways, medieval in others.  The food was way better than I'd expected.  The sights were things I'll never forget.  More than anything, my biggest impression of the country was the size -- of the country itself, but even more, of the population.  The cities are huge.  We got back to Dallas, left the airport to go home, approaching the downtown heart of the city in a cab by night, and we both thought, oh, how cute, small town America.  Honestly, I think we could have been driving into Manhattan, and it would have seemed like a small town.  But there are just people everywhere.  Things feel crowded.  Not always in a bad way (sometimes in a bad way though). 

I promise many more posts soon about all different parts of the trip.  But for now, it's a major game of catch-up at work, and a major game of unpack-repack at home.  Over the summer, I tried hard to make the most of a few lazy weekends because I knew the last 4 months of 2012 would be like this -- go, go, go.  We landed very early this morning, and we fly to Milwaukee tonight for one of my brothers' weddings this weekend.  Yikes!  But it will be great to get to tell my family all about the trip and spend the time with them, though since I will be working remotely Thurs and Fri, it won't just be an extension of the vacation. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you had such a fantastic time! I can't wait to read all about the sights & sounds.

    It sounds like you're jumping right into the thick of it. I hope you find a few moments to relax as re-enter real life. I'm glad you're back!

    ReplyDelete