Friday, August 26, 2011

Racing Dilemma

So perhaps my favorite racing weekend of the year is coming up in mid-September and I have a dilemma.  Two great races on the same day.  And my calf hurts, so there's no guarantee either will be a good idea for me.

First option is an Oktoberfest 5k in the city where my husband works.  Because of the second option, which is a big race that draws the speedsters, this tends to be a big race but with a slower field, so I can sometimes get an AG award.  And the AG awards are awesome -- cool glass beer steins.  It's kind of hilly for a 5k (so crappy course if you're looking for a PR), but actually, it was my PR last year -- and since I haven't broken that yet, it's still my PR.  Can I go 2 or so seconds faster on the same course?  I sincerely hope so, but it's far from certain.  A lot of course would depend on the weather.  And I'm just assuming this pain in my leg will be gone by then.  So the cool thing about this race is that I see a bunch of my husband's coworkers.  They are so awesome and supportive and fun.  And after the race, there are pretzels and beer, along with other traditional foods (bagels, chips, fruit), and donuts.  And with your bib, you get free admission into Oktoberfest that night, something I'll definitely be attending.  I always go with this running/drinking group and it's a lot of fun.  So that's option 1.  5k.  Possible PR (which was a resolution this year).  Food, beer, fun, crappy, crappy t-shirt. 

Second option is a 10k or 20k race at the Arboretum at the lake.  Pretty much no chance of an AG award, but slight chance for a 10k PR, which would be big and make me happy.  And of course a 100% chance of a 20k PR since I've never run a 20k.  But 20k is unlikely since I have a run the next day and I wouldn't want too many miles.  So I have tons of friends running this one.  And there is an awesome post-racee party here.  Bands, tons of great restaurants, beer, etc.  And it's closer to home.  And the shirts are mega-cool. 

These two races seem to always conflict.  I've done Oktoberfest the last two years in a row, the Arboretum in 08, Oktoberfest in 07, the Arboretum in 06 I think.  So what do I do this year?  Based on my resolutions, maybe I should go with the 5k again.  And did I mention that I could get a comped entry into Oktoberfest through my husband's work, and the other one is pricey?  But I haven't been racing much lately, so the budget will cover either, so that shouldn't really be my deciding point.  I almost would rather go for the 10k b/c I don't think I'm in 5k shape and it would be disappointing to crash and burn.  And I think I'm due for the 10k since I did Oktoberfest the last 2 years. 

Hmm... I'm conflicted.  I wish I could do both!  Decisions, decisions...

2 comments:

  1. Oooh tough choice! After years of running 5ks, I now tend to gravitate toward any distances 10k and longer, but 5ks can be so fun!! Maybe do the 5k and then is there another 10k a few weeks after you could do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems like the Oktoberfest 5k is what you should do this year because you might be able to complete a resolution with the PR. Plus, the award will be nice. :)

    BTW - you WON the giveaway on my blog!!! I posted all about it, so you can check it out to see how you can get your prize. Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete