Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Everything's Okay...

I'm participating in Reverb 10 for the month of December. Each day has a new prompt to encourage participants to reflect on 2010 and manifest what’s next in 2011.
December 24 Prompt – Everything’s OK. What was the best moment that could serve as proof that everything is going to be alright? And how will you incorporate that discovery into the year ahead?

What a fitting topic for a Christmas Eve prompt, as I think of that day as one of my perfect moments of the year, showing me that all was right with the world -- and will hopefully remain as such!  This is kind of a tough question though because I don't think I really doubted that everything is going to be alright.  I have had numerous moments over the last two years, particularly the week before our wedding, where I actually worried a little that things wouldn't be alright, that in some ways things were too perfect and I was just waiting for some shoe to drop or for something to come crashing down.  But instead my life has remained so blessed!  But one of the final pieces, my brother's long dating relationship with this awesome girl, was still missing. 

Our day on Xmas Eve was great -- hubby and I woke up kind of early and hung out in the kitchen with others as they woke up.  Ate a small breakfast and then an early lunch.  My mom made two kinds of soup, both vegetarian, a potato chili and a bean soup.  Then we all went for a ride in a "two-horse open sleigh."  The sleigh ride was especially exciting for my husband who adores horses but is also allergic to them (though slightly less so than I am).  It was cold but spectacularly beautiful.  We rode for a while then stopped at a bonfire where we had a few spiked hot chocolates and just sat around.  Then we got back in the sleigh and went back to our cars.  From there, we all went back home and then my brother's proposal happened.  They came back into the house and we all drank champagne and watched them change their facebook statuses to "engaged" and called her family and friends to share the news.  Next thing we knew, it was time for dinner.  Usually on Christmas Eve my mom makes kind of an appetizer dinner, lots of little things like dips and sometimes a cheese fondue or something.  It's good but I prefer a regular meal.  This year, she made three casseroles, so it was awesome.  One was a turkey tetrazini (my grandma's recipe, one of the things that makes me miss eating meat), one was pork country spare ribs over homemade sauerkraut and mashed potatoes (also not for me), and then a macaroni and cheese...  I'm going to have to do a post showing how good this meal was when I finally get around to sorting through all my Xmas photos.  Anyway, after dinner, we got ready for church and made the long drive.  We left a little earlier so that we could stop at a bar in town for a pre-church drink, which has become a new tradition over the last few years.  Then we went to church.  First several carols, then the service. 

My moment where I knew everything would be alright was during Silent Night, the second-to-last song of the service (it ends with Angels We Have Heard on High, possibly my fave Xmas carol (tied with Silent Night)).  I was standing between hubby and my baby brother.  They dim the lights in church and the acolytes take their flame things down the aisle and light the candle held by each person on the aisle, then they in turn pass the flame to candles in their aisle.  So I lit my candle from my brother's, and then hubby lit his from mine, my newest future sister-in-law lit hers from his, etc.  We were singing and I grabbed my brother and pulled him closer to me and then moved right up next to my husband, so we were all standing shoulder to shoulder, singing a beautiful song.  I felt so loved and safe and peaceful and satisfied and happy, everything was alright!

As for incorporating this reminder that everything was/is going to be alright into the next year, I guess the best thing I can do is remember it.  As I've mentioned before, with two brothers getting married in 2011, I'm guaranteed more family time than I got in 2010, so I guess that will add to my feelings of peace and happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment