Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Dreadmill

I wish I had my camera nearby or knew how to upload photos to this computer, I'll have to share some when I get back to Texas, but it's gorgeous here.  My folks live in the middle of nowhere basically and it's a winter wonderland.  Almost 1.5 feet of snow on the ground and I'm having the best time. 

Update:  Here's one from today! 

I went to the gym again this morning, my second time this week!  And it was better.  I was wearing different shoes.  Hubby has large feet and we made the decision a couple years ago to leave older pairs of running shoes with several family members in different cities that we visit regularly, that way we never have to pack shoes.  Well, the shoes I wore to the gym in Milwaukee tend to give me blisters on my arch.  I'd forgotten all about that.  They're probably fine for a few miles, but they were bothering me by the end of an hour on Monday.

Today was a different old pair of shoes in a different gym and it worked much better.  My mom was there too for the first hour of my workout, but again, since I'm on vacation, I decided to drive separately to the gym so I could stay as long as I wanted.  It was awesome!

I did about an hour on the treadmill (it times you out automatically after 63 minutes, wtf?), and then did some weights, then an hour on the bike (again, it times you out automatically after 60 minutes, but I didn't care, I was just pedaling easily and reading my book), then back to the treadmill for a little while.  The most fun thing I did though was the punching bag.  I took off my rings and just swung at it for a few minutes, trying to make sure I was doing some ab twisting, and it was fun.  But most of all, I liked just being able to do what I wanted at the gym and stay as long as I liked.  It makes me feel like I'm really on vacation, though when we actually go on a "real" vacation, we pretty much never go to a gym (though I got hubby to join me at a Zumba class in Stockholm this past year!).  But whenever we're visiting his parents, we go to their gym.  And when we visit my folks and it's not the dead of winter, we usually workout there too.  And when people come visit us, if they're interested we bring them along with us to boot camp or for runs.  Either way, long periods of time in the gym with no schedule forcing me to hurry on my way makes it feel like the day is my own and it's really vacation time. 

Not much else to report.  Eating tons but mostly healthy stuff.  It's strange, I can make some of the exact same things my mom makes, but it always tastes better when she makes it!  I also got to eat a few Christmas cookies today, which is a rare treat in our family (though I break the rule in Dallas all the time!).  Generally, my mom makes us wait until Xmas Eve to eat them.  But today after my three hour visit to the gym, I came home, hung out with my pa for a while, then went to meet my mom at her office for their holiday party where she'd brought cookies.  Yum!

Hubby is hopefully in the air right now, on his way to boys' night in Chicago with two of my bros.  Then they'll bring him here tomorrow when they come.  Oh, I can't wait.  It's just getting better and better!

And the one thing I don't like about being here usually, freezing all the time, isn't so bad.  My folks gave me permission to use the electric heater last night in our room, which made it so nice!  Now I'm about to go outside and help him shovel, so that will warm me up a bit too!

Saving the reverb posts for another day.  There's a quick fun one about travel I could do now, but the one before that is about looking 5-10 years ahead, and that will take considerably more thought, and I don't want Mr. Snowblower to have to do my promised shoveling too, so I need to get out there subito (Italian for at once, or right away, see I'm making progress on my transition to Italian for 2011!).

No comments:

Post a Comment