Friday, October 15, 2010

Crazy sore!

I woke up this morning and my left leg did not feel any better.  We were up really late last night getting our house pulled together (lots of moving boxes around, etc.), but when the alarm went off at 5, I felt like I'd be able to handle going to boot camp. 

Got there and we were told to do a warmup jog.  After about 4 steps on my left foot, I could tell running or jogging was not a good idea.  So I did some arm weights and then did a half-@ssed workout for the rest of the time.  But it was a fun morning nonetheless and I felt good about the arm work. 

I talked to the trainer about my leg very early in the class (while everyone else went on the longer run).  He said it sounded like it could be an adductor rather than hamstring or groin.  But since it's definitely on the inner and upper part of my thigh, I wasn't really trying to show him exactly where it hurt.  But I was able to show him the one movement where I really felt it pull.  Basically in a very deep lunge with my left leg forward and my hands all the way on the ground.  Just a deep lunge wasn't enough, but as soon as I shifted my weight and got my hands down, I felt it pull. 

Anyway, toward the end of class, I was talking to Joy and told her about the issue to explain why I wasn't running.  Surprise!  She's also very sore on both legs in the inner thigh area.  That made me feel like maybe it was just sore from a work-out, not from running.  Told my husband that in the car on the way home.  Surprise!  He's also very sore on both legs in the inner thigh area.  So yeah, hopefully this will be gone in a day or two.

Hubby and I were talking about what could have caused this.  And I think we have the culprit.  Wed. we did something called spider lunges.  No idea how many, but a lot, and it's something I don't do very often.  Essentially it's something like a mountain climber but you're bringing your legs up to the side of you, rather than under you. 

I feel like an idiot for not thinking of this when I was talking to the trainer.  Of course.  It's the same position basically as the stretch where I can feel it pull.  For spider lunges, you're on your hands in the push-up position and you're bringing each leg up to your elbow on the outside. 

So the mystery may be solved!  Still no good explanation for why my left side is significantly worse, but I'm very optimistic that my scheduled Sunday run will be smooth sailing.  Still trying to decide on the mileage -- I'd like to do at least 12 and not over 16 no matter what.  Will just defer that decision until tomorrow probably.

Now I'm going to focus on Fair eats -- fried beer, fried smores, fried peaches and cream, and more fried butter if they have it again.  Plus one of the baked potatoes, which I loooove.

No comments:

Post a Comment