Friday, February 12, 2016

Imagining

Given that Dubai was perhaps the most luxurious place I've ever been, I saw this top subject line in my inbox and I went on a little mental vacation from my desk at work. 


I can only imagine what this would look like...



And I can only imagine what it would cost!  Dubai is one of the most expensive places we've been (also in the running is Moscow, but Dubai seemed more expensive because we went to Dubai from India, which was crazy cheap).  (Incidentally, I've heard that some places like in the Congo (or maybe it was somewhere else?) can be crazy expensive because the only people staying in hotels and eating in restaurants are from NGOs, so no one is paying out of their own pocket, and the market takes advantage of that.) 

Anyway, speaking of nice hotels, we actually booked a great hotel in New Orleans at the end of this month for the marathon.  A little pricey, but it will be fun!

4 comments:

  1. Yay! Where are you staying? Downtown? Quarter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Staying at the Ritz Carlton on Canal Street. It looked like it was walking distance to the start.

      Delete
  2. Can't wait to hear how your marathon goes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Dubai marathon was just a couple of weeks after we were there. I would love to go back and see more since we were only there for about 14 hours. Usually I can convince my husband to go somewhere if it involves me running a half or full marathon. You are so right about remote places in Africa being ridiculously expensive. There are places like that in Mozambique. We can't figure out who the heck is staying in these gorgeous resorts on breathtaking Mozambican islands for $800/night. It's outrageous.

    ReplyDelete