Friday, June 26, 2015

Lawyers

Just have to say that today, I am so proud to be one. 


Proud of our country, proud of our Court, proud of the lawyers, proud of it all.


(Still scared to live in Texas, but glad our Attorney General is apparently just being ignored by the counties.)


I've always thought single-issue voters were making a big mistake, but at the same time, even though I lack "standing," the issue of marriage equality has meant a lot to me over the last xxx??? years.  I'm happy it should be a non-issue going forward. 


Such a proud day!!! 
My FB feed is full of rainbows and hearts, and thanks to that whole "top ten law school" education, lots of insightful commentary about the opinion.  Detailed analysis of the impact of different dissenting opinions and who joined which, who wrote which, etc.  The law nerd in me is voting today as the best day in a long time. 

7 comments:

  1. So true!

    I like this from xkcd (https://xkcd.com/1431/), and a post I saw somewhere about how the 2004 election - ironically where 11 of 11 same-sex marriage bans *passed* based on Karl Rove making it a 'wedge issue'. In general the initiatives narrowly passed, but the net effect was to mobilize social moderates to ask 'WHY is this suddenly a big deal' and see the truth of the religious zealots motives ... and very quickly public opinion shifted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone should update that graphic to 100% today!

      Delete
  2. I just told my son about why this will be considered a historic day. He just looked at me and said matter of factly, "wait what? I thought all people could get married." Of course here in Mass they have been able to for longer than he's been alive, but I think his reaction was due to the fact that he just doesn't see any issue with it. I'm so glad the Supreme Court doesn't either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was all we could talk about at work on Friday. What a huge step forward for our country!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, sad to hear on the news this morning that our AG has said county clerks can refuse to issue same sex licenses if it violates their personal religious beliefs (the same way it's hard to get Plan B pills from many pharmacies in Texas). He's admitted there is no legal support for this, but about 75% of the counties around us are not issuing licenses yet (but Dallas is, which is exciting). It appears parts of Texas are kicking and screaming...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a fundamental issue with the whole 'religious exemption' thing ... because it is being used very selectively as a not-so-subtle way to legitimize discrimination. If a doctor said 'it is against my religion to treat a Christian person' who then died ... would the Texas AG be cool with that? Somehow I doubt it.

      Delete