Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Not Running in NM

So I have come to the conclusion that I don't really run in New Mexico.  I basically jog, stop for photos, jog, then take more photos. 

Seriously, what is it about this place? 

I run with my phone when commuting to/from work in Dallas, but pretty much never for any other local run.  Occasionally, I'll run with my phone in other cities if I'm worried about getting lost.  I have never in my life run with my phone with a plan of taking photos.

But yesterday morning, it was similar to my last NM run -- sunrise behind me that was so spectacular, I had to keep looking back about every 45 seconds, and then stopping about every 2 minutes to take another photo.

I don't know why I bother -- my iphone photos don't do it justice, but I just want to sear it into my memory I guess.

Yesterday morning in Las Cruces:






(Honestly, I took this so I'd also remember that about 75% of the residences I ran past were either RVs or trailer homes, but the sky was pretty too:)

And then after the run, yes, biscuits and gravy (only 2 on this plate):


Where I worked (and it went well, just made for a very long day):

 
For dinner, I met up with a former co-worker at Chope's, which used to be my favorite restaurant in the Las Cruces area.  Last night, my chile relleno wasn't quite as good as I remembered, but the company was wonderful and we had lots of fun catching up:

 
Today's plan is to head back to Dallas!  Done with work travel for the year now -- two trips for fun on the books, but nothing more for work! 

6 comments:

  1. Is that dinner plate as massive as it appears? It is a double-edged sword - seldom do things live up to our memories, and also sometimes the food at places clicks, other times not.

    Also, love the 70s salad bowl with the chips in it! We bought some waffle-cone bowls for 'make your own sundaes' for Thanksgiving and were telling the kids about how the bowls reminded us of those 70s bowls ... had to laugh :)

    And really, when it is just so gorgeous ... why not stop. Not the end of the world. The pictures look great - they can never capture reality, but if they trigger your memory in years to come that is good enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, pretty much as massive as it appears!

      Too funny, I'd forgotten all about those 70s bowls until you said that.

      Delete
  2. These pictures are gorgeous, so I can't even imagine what the real thing was like. I'm glad you're taking it a bit more slowly and enjoying your scenery. And that food - YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. just in case you didn't set your comment on my blog to send you notifications of follow up comments, this was my response:

    i'm slow and won't be done running until around 1:30 - 2pm...so, a little late for brunch. my friend and i are going to go to Cheesecake Factory for my birthday dinner since my birthday is also the day of the marathon. i'm not sure if you'd be interested in CF or not...i know you rarely use FB, but could you message me on my blog FB page? it'd be so much easier than trying to message through here. i really do want to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure it was gorgeous since even the photos are beautiful. I'm trying to remember the restaurant I liked when I lived in Las Cruces....but that was about 15 years ago. Chope's sounds familiar though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. okay, and now i'm commenting on this blog. one good thing about being behind in reading your posts is that when i do get the time to play catch up, it's a really good read for me. not just a quick footnote kind of thing, you know? even though the iphone photos don't do the sky justice, they're still really pretty pictures and the colors are amazing. like cotton candy! i haven't yet had a run that spurred me to pull out my phone and snap pictures. someday i hope to have a run like that!

    ReplyDelete