Monday, November 24, 2014

Tree-less?

I had grand plans of putting up our new artificial Christmas tree this past weekend.  We usually put it up the day after Thanksgiving, but I had decided last weekend was best. 

I had a million good reasons to do it in my mind, but the primary one is that I thought it should go up early since we have so little time to enjoy it this year.  I have to travel for work next week, and the first weekend of December I'm out of town for a race in San Antonio that I always do with my girlfriends, the following weekend we'll be home (baking cookies, cheering for our local marathon), and by the next weekend (and the following), we'd be home with my family for Christmas. 

So really, it made sense to put it up early.  And this year, we have a new tree.  Last year, a bunch of the strands of lights stopped working on our old tree.  I'd had it for more than a decade probably and I didn't want to deal with taking off the pre-strung lights and hanging our own, so instead, right after Christmas, we donated it. 

And then I spent TONS of time researching trees on Amazon, narrowing it first by height, then by width, then by light count, then by tip count, then by warranty, then by weight, then by price.  And I clicked "buy". 

But then that whole Buffalo snow storm thing happened.  Unfortunately, it turns out that's where our tree was born (or at least shipped from China). 

Here's the current status:

11/20/2014 11:45 P.M. We were unable to dispatch the trailer on time. This may cause a delay. / Delivery will be rescheduled.
Buffalo, NY, United States 11/18/2014 12:28 A.M. Departure Scan
Buffalo, NY, United States 11/17/2014 6:06 P.M. Origin Scan
United States 11/17/2014 10:27 A.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS

And now I'm worried we won't have a tree at all this year! 

Since there seems to be no chance we'll have it over the long Thanksgiving weekend, and since I'm not sure we could manage putting it up on a weeknight, and since our one weekend in Dallas in December is chock-full of plans, I'm worried we won't have a tree at all.  That makes me sad! 

It was fairly expensive, and I'm pretty dead-set on the criteria by which I picked it, so I don't like the idea of ordering or buying a new one.  And since we're gone for more than a week to visit my family, a live tree is not an option.  Major bummer. 

And now I wonder, does the warranty run from when I ordered it (and paid for it), or from when I actually get it? 

3 comments:

  1. I would try Amazon's customer service. Maybe there is another shipping center & they could ship another one from there. I have had great experiences with Amazon's customer service. Seems they will do everything they can to help, so it might be worth a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with Jennifer - it won't help with it getting there immediately, but overall you should at least get it ...

    As for warranty, typically things start when they charge your card, but in cases like this you can always negotiate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i wish i had a spot in my apt to put up a tree. i'm hoping when i buy a house in a couple years that i'll have a place in a front window that i can display a tree. christmas trees make me happy

    ReplyDelete