Monday, July 22, 2013

FMM: Let’s Talk About TV

Not much to say about my weekend.  We went out for hubby's best friend's birthday party Friday night.  They live in a suburb really far north and most all their friends have kids, so for them, a night out is a really big deal -- and they all get tanked.  It was hilarious.  I stuck with water all night (figured it was hubby's friend, so he should get to drink, and since we had a long drive home, I figured I was better drinking zero than one).  Hubby's best friend's wife's brother and his wife were visiting from Canada.  I never knew hubby's best friend's wife could sing -- she took over the microphone (thankfully, after the wine bar, we headed to someplace with food, and since we were ordering dinner around 11 p.m., there weren't many other people).  She was really good!  She and her brother sang a bunch of songs together and they were having so much fun.  It made me miss my brothers.  Fortunately just a few more weeks and one of them is coming to visit! 

Saturday was quiet -- hubby was hung over all day.  We watched Before Sunrise and Before Sunset, movies I've loved for a long time but he's never seen.  Fortunately, he really liked them both.  I think part of it was being hungover, he was in a very quiet mood, so "talky" movies were fine.  Now we just have to find time to see the third movie, Before Midnight, in the theaters, hopefully on Friday. 

Sunday was my first "long" run of marathon training.  16 miles, and overall, pretty smooth sailing.  Yoga, cooking, cleaning, laundry, napping, a good rest of the day! 

friend makin mondays

If you’ve taken part in FMM then you know the rules. If you’re new, please take a moment to answer this week’s question on your own blog then add your link in the comments section here at: www.alltheweigh.com so we can all see your FMM questions and answers. Please invite your blog readers to add their links here too so everyone has to opportunity to be seen. The idea is to connect with other awesome bloggers so take a moment to post your own FMM post and comment on a couple of other posts. Now it’s time for this week’s topic!

Let’s Talk About TV
 
1. Share your current “Must-See” TV shows.  The Bachelorette.  That's it for right now, others will start up in a few weeks I guess (Southland, The Americans, Law & Order SVU, Dallas, Grimm).  I know the Bachelorette is awful.  I make an audible noise everytime someone says "I" when they mean "me."  And that's just the beginning, but it's like a train wreck and I can't look away! 

2. Do you prefer reality shows or sitcoms?  Tough call.  I generally prefer dramas to both, but if I had to choose between reality shows or sitcoms, I'd choose sitcoms except The Bachelor and The Bachelorette -- those are the only reality shows I like, but I like them way more than anything else right now. 

3. Who is your favorite talk show host?   Don't really have one.  If I had to choose, I'd go with Fareed Zakaria.  Hubby likes him and he's starting to grow on me.  He has a show on CNN on Sunday mornings. 



4. Which network(s) do you turn to for news?   RAI (the Italian news network) first, then Euronews, then BBC.  I pretty much hate American news networks, but I watch the Today show most mornings, which contains about 5-10 minutes of news most days.  But I never watch CNN, Fox, MSN, etc. if I can avoid it. 

5. Do you have Tivo or DVR? If so, which programs do you have set to record?  We have a DVR and we record everything listed in my answer to question 1, plus Simpsons, Family Guy, American Dad, I didn't know I was pregnant, Fareed Zakaria GPS, and The Layover with Anthony Bourdain.  We also record select episodes of House Hunters International if they're in Italy or someplace else that appeals to us. 

6. Have you ever started watching a show simply because you heard so much about it on social media? If so, which one did you watch?  No, especially since I'm avoiding social media this year, but I'm considering Downton Abbey.  So many friends posted about liking it.  I just don't feel like I have time to watch something new now. 

7. List any TV series that you own on DVD.  None (but now that I think about it, maybe a couple seasons of Friends?). 

8. Do you have a subscription to Netflix, Hulu, etc? If so, what kind of device do you use to stream it?  We have Netflix and we watch it through our DVD player. 

9. If you could star in a TV show that already exists, which one would you choose? I would have loved to be on Rock the Reception (I think that still exists?).  It was one of those shows where couples and their friends practiced a crazy first wedding dance.  It usually looked like they had so much fun!  We took dance lessons but had a traditional first dance.  It was great, but something crazy would have been fun too. 

10. If you could bring back one TV show that is no longer on the air, which one would you choose? I really liked The Office, but it kind of ran its course.  I guess I'd say Seinfeld.  I loved that show, and my fondness for it has grown since it's been off the air.  So many episodes had continuing relevance. 

Now it’s your turn to answer this week’s questions! Don’t forget to come back and link up in the comments, and don’t forget to take a little time to welcome some of our new FMM friends! Happy Monday!

4 comments:

  1. Great list! It's fun to read what you watch... it's a bit different from my list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found you via FMM and I must say... Downton Abbey is AMAZING! I absolutely recommend it to everyone. I've never really watched Seinfeld and people think I'm crazy for that, but I think one of these days I should start from the beginning and see what it's all about. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy watching Seinfeld when I see repeats on TV. I really need to add it to my Netflix DVD queue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried Downtown Abbey and just couldn't get into it-but everyone else says it's supposed to be amazing.

    ReplyDelete