Monday, May 21, 2012

FMM: Three Things

I had another quiet weekend.  I think I'm internally rebelling at having been busy every single weekend for about 3 months, and now I have all these weekends where I'm not planning anything.  I mostly did book club reading, and stuff around the house this weekend.  And I ran both days, which was nice.  9 easy miles on Saturday, and then a few hard miles on Sunday.  But my quiet low-key weekends are rapidly coming to an end -- starting next weekend and through most of the summer it seems we have a lot going on. 

If you’ve taken part in FMM then you know the rules. If you’re new, please take a moment to answer this week’s question on your own blog then add your link in the comments section here at: http://www.alltheweigh.com/ so we can all see your FMM questions and answers. Please invite your blog readers to add their links here too so everyone has to opportunity to be seen. The idea is to connect with other awesome bloggers so take a moment to post your own FMM post and comment on a couple of other posts. Now it’s time for this week’s topic!


FMM: Three Things

1. Three of your favorite movies:

- Jerry Maguire

- Godfather Part II

- Dirty Dancing or Savannah Smiles -- those are probably tied for 3d

2. Three of your favorite things to drink:

- water (I drink it most often and in quantities that my doctor thought were completely abnormal and alarming, but my test results just show that I'm thirsty)

- diet A&W root beer -- I like caffeine-free and calorie-free, but I don't drink it often, about one can every week or two. 

- red wine; if I had to pick one I'd go with Montepulciano

3. Three of your favorite songs:

- Angel by Aerosmith

- Angel by Shaggy

- Over and Over by Tim McGraw and Nelly

That was tough!  I think aside from number 1 (which is my all-time favorite song), the others rotate pretty regularly; lots of songs I like a lot but not tons of current stuff.  Musical tastes largely stalled out about a decade ago. 


4. Three people who have recently been a positive influence on your life (outside of your family):

- The partner I worked for on a case for about 5 years at the big firm where I worked for the first 8 or so years out of law school.  He did a lot of work to make me a better legal writer. 

- My college roommate, M.  I think it's normal for your personality to change a lot if you move away from home for college, and she had a huge impact on how I changed.  We were polar opposites in many ways (summer after freshman year, I went to work at a law firm, she went on tour following the Grateful Dead), but at the same time, she left me with some of her musical tastes, much of her sense of humor, and many other things. 

-  My most favoritist amazing speed coach.  She used to run professionally (she's an NCAA 5k champ), she paced me to what was a big 5k PR for me at the time, she taught me a lot about running (much of which I still think about) and on top of all that, she's insanely fun and wonderful.  Let's just say she has a nickname based on a Texas beer, she's definitely a lot of fun. 

5. Three things you to do keep yourself entertained

- Reading or watching TV if I'm alone

- Hanging out with friends (and/or family)

- Trip planning

6. Three things you’re attracted to in the opposite sex:

- Love my husband's dimples

- Love my husband's strong arms and shoulders

- Love my husband's easy-going personality (it balances me out!)

7. Three things you love about yourself:

- I’m very reliable

- I'm good at seeing both sides to things (some would call that argumentative...)

- I like making those I love happy.

8. The last three people who text messaged you:

- Hubby texted me at book club last night to ask me to download the podcast we listen to as we go to sleep.

- Adam, one of my younger brothers, replied to my text in which I suggested he read the book I'd just read for book club (The Billionaire's Vinegar) to say he was curious about why the last few pages made me think of him, so he'd read it, and to say it was good chatting that day.  He lives in Chicago for now and did a 30 mile bike ride along LSD, and he'd stopped on the beach to chill for a while and had called me (while I was reading the acknowledgements and some of the endnotes to the book I was about to text him to read!)

- Teresa, a running friend here who happens to work for a big national race and as a lulu model, sending a generic survey to running friends about whether we'd pay 10-25 extra for a race for a premium item instead of a general tech shirt, and if so, what kind of item. 

9. Three things you’re looking forward to this week:

- I mentioned there is big work stress happening, and I'm about to lose the personal days that I used to get, so I'm taking Wednesday off to spend the day with hubby -- we're going to dinner with our neighbors Tuesday night, sleeping in Wed. morning, going out to lunch, going to see a movie, and who knows what else. 

- Going to local bestie's parents' place for the long weekend, to run a half marathon out there on Memorial day

- Social run with a foremer coworker one night this week.

10. Three wishes specifically for yourself…What are they? (Be selfish, and be honest.)

- The lottery!  (Ideally in the ballpark of $300 million)

- My ultimate marathon goal in Berlin in 2013!

- More visits from our families

11. Three of your favorite quotes:

- “Don't fight the hypo" (used frequently by professors in law school)

- “Just do it."  (Nike)

- “I am serious, and don't call me Shirley"

12. Three of your biggest fears:

- financial ruin

- hubby realizing that I got the better end of the deal and deciding to find someone sweeter than me

- some kind of paralyzing injury

13. Three of your favorite TV shows:

- The Bachelorette (oh, the shame)

- Law & Order SVU

- The Office

14. Three of your favorite things to purchase when you’re shopping:

- plane tickets!

- dessert

- new running shoes/clothes

15. Three things that you enjoyed last week:

- Sleeping in on Thursday -- marathon training started yesterday, so from now on, I'll be up at 4-something and running at 5:15 every Thursday morning from now on until race week! 

- Our neighbors got back into town on Thursday after they spent the spring in Italy and the last couple weeks at their place in Michigan

- Got a huge report done at work and it required very minimal revision

16. Three things that you always have in your bag or close to you if you’re not a purse kind of person. (The second part of the question is for you, Timmo!)

- iPhone

- hand sanitizer

- inhaler (I have asthma)

17. Three types of food that you wouldn’t want to give up.

- Pizza

- Monster salads

- Macaroni & cheese

18. Three things you do to enjoy burning calories:

- Running

- Boot camp

- Hmm, I don't do much else.  Bikram yoga and walking with my neighbor, but I'm not sure those really burn a lot of calories.  Sex?  Hahaha! 

19. Three things you dislike about blogging:

- Worrying that I said something that could be read the wrong way and then being read by the person it's about (recently wrote about some questions about a recent widower starting to date again, and I'd feel awful if he ever read that post and didn't think I was in his corner, but I just use the blog as a place to write what I'm thinking). 

- Wondering what readers think when they view a post but don't comment

- Putting all the not great parts of myself out there to be considered. 

20. Three ways blogging has changed your life:

- It's a nice way to sort out my thoughts.

- It's a good record of different times in my life -- I used to love journaling for that reason too. 

- I have trouble coming up with a third -- I like reading blogs so much more than writing, I only write when I feel like I have something to say or I want to push myself to do it. 

Now it’s your turn to answer the questions! Don’t forget to go back and link up in the comments, and have a happy Monday!

8 comments:

  1. I like all your responses. But what really tickled me was the three things you like about the opposite sex. Girl, you should have just said "my husband's body." LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good point - I wonder what people are thinking when they read a post, but don't comment. I also feel slightly down when I write a post and it never gets viewed! Darn blogger stats, anyway!

    Stopping in from FMM - hi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stopping on from FMM!

    I'm very happy with how many of these I've read where "sex" is a response as a calorie-burner. Thinking of starting a petition to get it added to the list of workouts in the MyFitnessPal app. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL on getting sex added to MFP... great idea! :)

    Love your responses - and Bikram burns lots of calories, but sex is WAY more fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, I absolutely love Godfather Part II.

    I'm with you on the fear of financial ruin.

    I read your blog nearly every day. I don't always comment, though. Often because I am anxious that my comment isn't helpful, smart enough, funny enough, whatever. But I love your blog :)

    justemily.blog.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the Airplane quote! I have to agree completely with your biggest fears list in #12 especially the last one.

    I hope everything at work gets better. In the meantime have a wonderful Wednesday off. Good luck as you begin marathon training. Is this training for China? What an experience that will be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, Beijing will be interesting -- especially for my first international race!!

      Delete
    2. I LOVE "Savannah Smiles!" It makes me cry at the end every time!!

      Delete