Monday, December 19, 2011

FMM: Have You Ever?

I'm so far behind on writing on the blog now -- I loved doing the WEVerb series, but I'm hopelessly behind!  Just feels so busy.  I spent the weekend baking, wrapping and packing.  And I still need to do some shopping after we fly home tomorrow night!  Yikes. 

People seem to get so irritated about how early stores start promoting the holidays, but in some ways, I kind of like it.  It gets me in gear.  Otherwise the weekend before Christmas sneaks up and it's like this one was!  I much prefer years that all my shopping is done way in advance. 

Anway, since it's Monday...

If you’ve taken part in FMM then you know the rules. If you’re new, please take a moment to answer this week’s question on your own blog then add your link in the comments section at: http://www.alltheweigh.com/ so we can all see your FMM questions and answers. Please invite your blog readers to add their links, too, so everyone has to opportunity to be seen. The idea is to connect with other awesome bloggers so take a moment to post your own FMM post and comment on a couple of other posts. Now it’s time for this week’s topic.

FMM: Have You Ever?


1. …traveled outside of your home country? If so, where?  Hmm, it's hard for me to remember the last year I didn't leave the US for a vacation.  I looooove to travel and I infinitely prefer travelling outside the US.  I've been to most of Europe from Sweden, Finland, Poland and Russia, down to Spain, Greece, Malta, Bosnia and Turkey (the big holes in Europe for me are Portugal, Ireland, Norway, and some of "Eastern" Europe).  Italy is by far our most frequent destination.  In terms of the Americas (did you know Italians learn that North and South America are a single continent?  Italians only believe there are 5 continents!), I've been to Canada, Mexico, some of the islands, Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Brazil -- so lots more to see down south!  In terms of Africa, only Kenya and Tanzania so far -- lots more to see there.  In Asia, lots of the basics -- Hong Kong, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore (but of course the glaring hole is Mainland China (which we should be visiting in less than a year!, and India, which we should visit within the next few years).  And then I've missed Australia completely.  Someday...

2. …performed on stage in front of at least 1,000 people? If so, share some details! Nope.  Spelling bees in junior high weren't really performances and in any event, less than 1,000 people.  Graduation and bar swearing-ins don't count as performances either.  I was interviewed (using the term loosely) on MSNBC once, but that's not a stage performance. 

3. …watched an episode of Jersey Shore?  No.  Don't watch tons of TV. 

4. …baked a cake from scratch? If so, what’s your specialty? Yes.  Cheesecake is probably my best. 

5. …worked in a grocery store? No. 

6. …dated someone who was your best friend first? Not my best friend, but hubby was a very good (but strictly platonic) friend for about a year before we started dating. 

7. …made a difference in someone’s life during Christmas?  Not enough!  There's an angel tree thing here that I usually do, but the last few years I haven't worked at an office where they do it and I prefer to avoid the mall, so I haven't done it.  I should do that again though! 

8. …been on TV?  See above regarding my MSNBC appearance.  Sometime in fall 98 or spring 99.  Oh, and I've picked myself out in marathon coverage of both the San Antonio marahon in 2009 and the local marathon.  But just out of a crowd.  Not sure I even really waved at the cameras...

9. …had cosmetic surgery?  No, though I'm not opposed to it. 

10. …learned a second language? If so, what else do you speak?  I speak Italian fluently, and I minored in French in college so I'd say I understand it fairly well but struggle to speak it now.  I know little phrases in lots of languages from living in Dallas (where Spanish is useful) or from our travels (my favorite was "I'd like to speak with" in Russian, which is one of the most awesome sounding expressions ever), and I'm hoping to get to a very, very basic level of making myself understood in Chinese in the next 10 months! 

Now it’s your turn. Feel free to post your own answers and then go to her blog and link up in the comments. Happy Monday!

3 comments:

  1. Your post on this topic was so fun to read, as I knew it would be. How cool that you were on TV! I can't actually believe there were places in the world you haven't been (j/k). This is where I'm jealous of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you are talented with languages! Useful when you travel as much as you do, I'd love to see so many of the countries you have already been to.

    Good luck learning Chinese, I had a few Chinese friends when I was taking my MBA, and the language seemed complicated to me, but I have no ear for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are my travel idol. Someday I hope to catch up with you. I've been to a lot of places, but nowhere near as many as you!

    ReplyDelete