Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Step 1 is learning to read...

I made a little mistake this morning.  I really do know how to read.  Our schedule said 3 easy, 3 in zone 2, then 2 easy.  So a short little 8 miles on tap.  But I also know this is a recovery week, so in general lower mileage and lower intensity. 

When I showed up to run, our coach said something about 8 easy.  I started running with a slightly faster group, but by about mile 2.5, my heart rate was getting too close to zone 2, so I slid back a little.  And they started pulling further and further away from me. 

Finally around mile 4.75 I got caught by the group I'm usually with.  And then I realized they were in the middle of the three miles in zone 2. 

Oops!

I felt like such an idiot.  It's like I read the schedule, I knew the schedule, I should have figured it out, but my mind wasn't quite up to speed this morning...

So I ended up with 5 miles easy, 1 mile in zone 2, and then almost 2 miles easy.  The good news is that all the miles were in a 20 second window except for mile 1 (very slow, warming up) and the 1 mile in zone 2 (significantly faster).  At least I'm getting steadier.

This is going to be a hectic week.  Tonight is a boad meeting for our condo association.  Tomorrow night is the social run and group dinner.  Thursday night is our Italian class.  Friday is hopefully a major last day celebration.  And my cousin and his wife will be here this week for the second operation on their son (the docs decided he needs the operation now based on his weight; his heart has already outgrown the temporary fix they did right after birth, but after this operation, hopefully it won't be until he's almost 2 before he has his next open heart surgery, and hopefully that one will keep him going for good and he won't need a heart transplant or any more surgeries). 

Sunday I'm going to work on getting lunches and snacks ready for the week, planning my outfits, packing my first day desk stuff, etc. 

Also, this week I'm making my first substantial progress on my closet project for the year.  I took in one pair of pants to have them hemmed to check out a new tailor and worked out a pretty good deal to have a set of 10 skirts altered.  So I'm dropping off those skirts tomorrow and then will hopefully get them back in a couple weeks to wear to work.  I told the alterations guy that since I was bringing in so many and asking for a volume discount, I wouldn't need them in any rush.  Assuming the skirts go well, next I'll aim to bring in a set of 10 pairs of pants.  Then I'll do maybe one more set of each and then start dumping the rest (that will be the hard part!). 

No comments:

Post a Comment