Thursday, February 24, 2011

Evidence of my Oddity

I am not a "tech" person in any sense of the word.  I've got some basics down, but I'm slow to adopt new technologies.  Well, in an effort to clear my stuff off my computer at work, I decided to send my personal account an email with a list of my internet favorites.  Is there a better way to export that data?  I don't know.

But I was making the list and I tried to categorize my favorites.

First, there was a list of accounts/personal.  This includes links to the login screens for my email accounts, my high school class data page, a flicker photo set from our wedding in Italy, and a caring bridge page for my local bestie's sister, who has cancer (she's only 30 and has stage 4 lung cancer, even though she's never smoked). 

Then, predictably, there was a legal category.  Links to Texas statutes, online legal research sites, etc.  And a couple more personal ones -- my fave Supreme Court blog and something called "courtoons" which are legal cartoons that post infrequently but usually make me laugh.

Next was my category for running.  First and foremost, my garmin homepage, but also my fave pace calculator (cool running), my fave predictor (McMillan), and a running magazine.  And there are also links for two friends' garmin homepages, a local race photographer's site, an age-grade calculator (b/c I'm odd, mostly to use to compare my times to Adam's, since he's younger and male), and no meat athlete (vegetarian blog kind of site).

Then there is my Italian category.  It includes my favorite online dictionary and verb conjugator, several pages devoted to our local Italian Club, one link to Runner's World in Italian (wasn't sure if this should go under running or Italy), an English language magazine about the province that we most like to visit (the province is Vibo Valentia), and a few of my favorite English-language blogs about life in Italy. 

I have a category for blogs.  Three friends in real life, one devoted to the Bachelor, and several about life and/or running.  Mostly ones that I read fairly frequently, though I don't always go through my favorites to get to them. 

And I have a category for local stuff.  The site where I can pull the police log for my neighborhood, a general crime blog, other things directly related to our condo association, a couple sites devoted to local dining, a link to the city where my husband works (which has lots of fun special events), a couple local blogs related to news (loosely defined).

There is a category related to eating and/or vegetarianism.  Not things I check often, but some things about Christian vegetarianism, ethical vegetarianism, and local eating. 

And there's a kind of random category of news/research.  This has a link to MSN's page summarizing headlines from Africa, the newseum page that shows newspaper front pages from around the world, my favorite "easy flag identifier" (when I see a flag and don't know where it's from, I use this website, it lets you search by how many colors, whether it's stripes, stars, animals, etc.), and the CIA world factbook site. 

All that makes sense to me.  In fact, if I look at my about me page for this blog, running, Italy, legal stuff, etc., it all seems very logical.

Then there was the category I never expected to have to create.

I sadly have an entire category (containing more links than I care to admit) devoted to ... grammar.  And this category has more links than the eating/vegetarian category, and more than my news/research category.  Yikes.  Fun sites about apostrophe abuse, a blog of "unnecessary" quotes, and more.  Oh, who am I???  Very, very odd.

No comments:

Post a Comment