Thursday, May 24, 2012

It's Public

So all my work stress is cresting, but as of earlier this week, it's public information: our company was acquired by a large publicly traded company. Exciting and scary, all at the same time. Some changes will certainly be for the better, but of course not all of them I bet.

The next few weeks will be interesting, but hopefully things will settle in well.

One change that is "not so much" for the better: No more personal time.

We'll still have the same amount of vacation, and whatever amount of personal time we had before, we will now get in sick time (and short term disability is paid, which I guess would be nice for someone having a baby or something, but not likely to be relevant to me (I always considered savings to be my short-term disability plan)). 

So I took yesterday off.  Hubby had just worked 18 straight days and was finally off, so I planned to enjoy the day with him. 

Slept in, got our cars washed by hand, walked to a super-trendy taco place by our house for lunch, went to the mall to shop (a book and Lulu bra for me), went to see a movie (The Dictator), went shopping for hubby (shoes (work and running) and a running shirt), deposited a check from the IRS from last July (such a pain since the check was payable to both of us b/c of our joint return but no joint accounts (and not a big check)), and did some quick grocery shopping together. 

I'll miss the option of taking days like this in the future.  I don't like lying and claiming I'm sick.  But I'm also someone who almost never has to take sick time, so it feels unfair.  I work in an office, and it's easy for me to be sick at work -- still isolated, able to do my job. 

Anyway, I'm sure it will all work out, but if nothing else, now that it's public, I can vent to my friends and family, and hopefully I'll be sleeping better at night now...

1 comment:

  1. I am the same way about sick time. I don't use it unless absolutely necessary. When I broke my rib last September I took two nights off. Prior to that I hadn't been out since April 2007. I actually take advantage of the hospital's wages without benefits program since my husband's benefits are so much better. I make more an hour but I don't get paid time off. They make it very stressful for us to take time off as it is especially if you call out sick.

    I am just about to begin a 7 night stretch at work, but that is nothing compared to your husband's 18 days. Wow! Glad you both had a nice day off together.

    I hope you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete