Thursday, June 6, 2013

National Running Day questions

So here are belated answers to a National Running Day post I read on hungryrunnergirl.  I didn't see it until pretty late last night, so I actually missed the official day.  I largely echo Amy's sentiments when it comes to National Running Day, because yes, it's just Wednesday and that means I run.  Same as I ran last Wednesday, and the Wednesday before that, and same as I will do next Wednesday and the next Wednesday (God-willing). 

But who am I to shy away from a set of questions already written for me that I can just answer without having to think about topics? 

1. On average how many races do you run a year? 
On average, I run 14.333 races per year. 
In 2013, I've done 13 so far -- but that was due to my crazy plan to make sure my speed training in the spring had tangible results.  That pace is slowing down markedly now that marathon training is underway, but I will still be well over 20 races for the year I expect, my highest ever.  I didn't count this year in my average.
Past years:
2012 = 15 races
2011 = 13 races
2010 = 19 races
2009 = 17 races
2008 = 19 races
2007 = 16 races
2006 = 11 races (still seriously injured first two months of the year)
2005 = 13 races (seriously injured last two months of the year)
2004 = 6 races
2003 = 1 race, my very first road race as an all-grown up and full-time employed adult (I know I did some races in college, maybe even law school, but certainly not with any frequency).  I didn't count this year in my average. 

2. Head accessories, things you have to run with: a hat, a visor, sunglasses, chapstick, sunscreen, head band, ponytail, braids, sweat band?
The only must for me is a ponytail.  During my commute now, I will sometimes wear sunglasses.  If it's raining, I'll wear a visor.  If it's cold, I'll wear a hat.  I try to be better about sunscreen, but face sunscreen as a runner is tricky, tricky business.  You don't want most of that stuff anywhere near your eyes when you're sweating buckets.  I like to wear chapstick on my evening commute runs, but if I wear it in the morning, my lipstick for the day doesn't stick well. 

3. Where do your workouts come from? A training plan, a coach, whatever you feel like doing that day or what your training partner is doing that day?
I train with a group organized by a local running store, so my coach with that program puts together the schedule.  I'm actually a certified coach myself, and I've coached for this store before, but it's like an attorney representing herself -- just not a good idea.  I'm much better off with a coach looking at what I'm doing and coming up with a plan for me. 

4. How many miles on average do you put on a pair of shoes? (I am in mourning because my beautiful purflow 2s are being retired today. We had a great relationship together for 400 miles).
Lately, I've been getting close to 500 miles.  I think it's because after I'd traditionally retire shoes, I now will just move them to a "lesser" category so I use them for boot camp or for commuting. 

5. Cell phone= do you bring it with you on your run or leave it at home?
I leave it at home or in the car during races and when I'm running alone or with friends in training, but I bring it along when I'm commuting because I need to have my phone with me at work (and thanks to "find my phone" if I ever didn't get home within half an hour or so after I left work, hubby could track me to see where I was). 

6. What was your last running related injury or have you been an injury free runner?
I've had some calf pain sporadically over the last few years, but the last real injury where I had to take a few days off was a calf injury in March 2011.  I had plantar fasciitis, but I was able to keep running -- it only hurt when I walked.  The only serious injury I had was in late 2005 and early 2006, a pulled groin muscle that took months of no running to heal. 

7. Is your current running goal about running a farther distance (adding more mileage) or getting faster or BOTH?!?
Getting faster.  Specifically, getting faster at the marathon in Berlin on Sept. 29, 2013.

8. Speedwork—-> at the track, on the treadmill, on the roads or never do it?
I prefer at the track, but I will sometimes do it on the roads.  I usually do it with my training buddies and it's usually on the roads in the early stages of training, then at the track in the sharpening phase. 

9. Stretching after a run: hit the ground after a run and get stretching, stretch in the shower, stretch once you get to work/school, skip the stretching?
After every run for training, I walk for about 3 minutes to cool down and I do a few high knees, butt kicks, and front kicks after that.  After a long run, I'll add real stretching about 5 more minutes.  After morning commute runs, I'll stretch some in the elevator at work if there's no one else there or I'll just inconspicuously stretch my calves.  After evening commute runs, nada.  I get in the house and I am done.
 
10. What was your reason(S) for starting to run? 
I was talked into signing up for a marathon by a friend. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you're on track to surpass the last few years' race totals, since you've already had 15 and the year is only half over!

    ReplyDelete