Monday, July 18, 2011

What a Wedding!

There is no way to describe this past wedding weekend other than to say it was absolutely amazing!  First a few fun and relaxing days visiting our Dallas neighbors at their Michigan residence, including a fun day trip to Canada, lots of great meals, long Italian card games, and lots of time together.  On Friday afternoon, they dropped us in Detroit for a few family- and friend-filled days of wedding festivities.  All the wedding events were so wonderful, a good mix of formal and fun, perfect reflections of my brother and my new sister. 

The rehearsal on Friday was as chaotic, tardy and unorganized as almost all rehearsals are, but it worked -- we all knew what to do on Saturday.  The rehearsal dinner was a big barbeque at a park in the town where the bride's parents live.  So nice to see my family and friends. 

As with basically all weddings in my family, by the end of the night, there were multiple keg stands.  Including notably, my husband for his first one ever (which surprised me), and the bride (because she's just that kind of gal!).  Not notably, two of my three brothers who were there (I guess maybe it's surprising it was only 2 instead of all 3, but I had no doubt when I saw the keg that at least one of them would be on it by the end of the night), the bride's brother, the bride's cousins, and many family friends.

The bride getting her dress tied before her keg stand, you know, it's the ladylike approach!:


One of the many keg stands, the bride's had a bit too much cleavage to post (it wouldn't be X-rated, but I wouldn't want to embarass her).  This is one of the guys:

After the rehearsal dinner ended, we took the party to a bar. That was interesting. The drive showed some really scary parts of Detroit. And the walk from our hotel to the bar was also scary, despite the fact that we'd crammed 6 or 7 people into my bro's tiny car, including 4 or 5 guys so we were well protected. We walked past a huge group of very scary looking guys in front of a strip club called The Grind. Gotta love Detroit...

Hubby and I thought about inviting people come back to our mac-daddy suite after that, but it was just too late for us to hang.  But our suite was incredible.  A shot of our suite's bar area, taken from the living room:


Fun times Fri night meant many yawns due to the early start on Saturday.  The guys all went for hot shaves and then spent a lot of time hanging out.  The girls all went to the salon for hair and make-up, then back to the bride's house for lunch and changing into our dresses, and some pics, then the party bus to the ceremony site. 

At the salon, awaiting hair and make-up.  The bride gave all of us tank tops displaying our roles -- bridesmaid, mother of the groom, maid of honor, etc.  Quite cute!

Getting her hair done:

And one photo of the bride that I took during shots at her house, just to show the photog didn't photoshop or touch these up, she is just beautiful! 

I'm going to copy some pics from their official photog since I didn't have my camera for much of the day -- he (Jeffrey, the photographer) did such an amazing job!  Of course it didn't hurt that I think they make a stunning couple! 

I'd never seen a hanger like the one used for her dress -- complete with date! 



The bride, in her parents' backyard (her necklace was her wedding gift from her folks, and the earrings were her wedding gift from my bro): 


The groom at the Detroit Athletic Club, where the guys got ready (the watch was his wedding gift from her parents):


Beautiful ceremony.  I didn't cry too much, which was a huge relief.  I was feeling so emotional! 

One shot of everyone waiting for the ceremony to start:



Had to include a rings picture, since that's always one of my fave wedding photos:


After that, it was lots of pictures, then the bridal party took the party bus around for some Detroit pics and as transit to the reception. 

Possibly my fave of their post-ceremony (bride and groom together) photos:


She was happy since she got to show off her Jimmy Choo shoes, which she was calling her Baby Choos.  I think it was her favorite part of all her wedding attire.  She's a shoe girl!

And a cool Detroit pic: 


The reception was awesome.  Great toasts (though they had 3, which seemed like one too many, but I couldn't really say which one should have been cut -- I guess it should be best man and maid of honor, but the bride's brother also gave one and it was sweet).  Good food.  Great drinks.  Full dance floor all night.  Funny photo booth -- we even got together all the girls from the bachelorette party for a couple shots in the photo booth. 

The cake was particularly good -- raspberry filling...: 


This one doesn't show the full dance floor, but that's only b/c it was their first dance.  After that one, then the mother-son and the father-daughter dances, the floor was open and pieno (that's Italian for full):


One of my pictures showing the full dance floor, incidentally showing many of my favorite uncles, aunts, siblings, etc. dancing the night away:


My bro and his new wife left the reception briefly to take some rooftop pics before she changed into her second dress (more f a party dress, pretty, strapless, knee-length):


I didn't think I had one of her second dress, but here it is:


Some people went out for an after-party, but we were way too beat...

A completely and totally amazing weekend, and insanely happy for my sweet baby brother and his wonderful new bride!  I'm very lucky to have such a wonderful family, and my new sister will fit right in.

1 comment:

  1. What a stunning bride! Looks like so much fun. I really love the hanger with the date as well--I've never seen that before!

    ReplyDelete