Thursday, July 21, 2011

Newlywed Quiz

Oops, this is an old post that I wrote a few weeks ago and for some reason it didn't post!  So I'm going to add an update at the end and post it now anyway. 

Going back to right before the bachelorette party for my baby-bro's then fiancee...

Since I was the most senior person in the wedding party on the bride’s side (by like 10 years), I guessed I’d end up with a little more of the bill for the bachelorette party than others, but that caused absolutely no problem for me. I remember being 25 and not having money to spare. I technically started work right after I turned 25, and it was at a big firm so the money was good, but I don’t think that’s the typical experience so I instead remember what life was like when I was about 22 and had virtually no cash to spare.  So seriously, knowing most of these girls were about 25-27, I didn't mind being hit with a larger share of the bill.  But since I'm out of town, I'm not doing much of the planning.  Instead I volunteered to help with the grocery and liquor shopping in town, to plan one game, to bring homemade brownies, and to help with clean-up on Sunday after the bachelorette weekend festivities wind down (before I have to go back to Detroit to fly home).
Anyway, I’d organized this game for a few bachelorette parties I’d been to before where I was in the wedding party. It’s kind of like the newlywed show. Basically, I’d make a list of questions (various levels of raciness, things like "what size shoes do you wear" to "what’s your favorite dessert and has he ever eaten it off of you)". Then shortly before the party, I'd spend some time asking the groom-to-be the questions and writing his answers on the note card for each question. Then the questions are kind of ranked (round 1 being plain vanilla, safe to play in front of grandma, round 5 (or whatever) being the questions you want to save for after many shots have been consumed). Then when we’re ready to play, the questions are passed out to everyone except the bride-to-be, and we all take turns asking questions and seeing if she gets it right. Usually when we’ve played, if she gets it wrong, she has to put a piece of bubblicious in her mouth – if she gets it right, no additional bubble gum. If she gets a bonus question right, she gets to spit out all the gum in her mouth. I think this time we’re going to play where she can do a shot instead of a piece of gum, or do a shot to get to spit out all the gum in her mouth.

The best part though about offering to be the one to organize this part of the shower – I get to choose all the questions. So that means no getting creeped out by thinking too much of what she and my sweet baby brother do behind closed doors. One of the funniest questions we’ve done with some of my best friends was: is he usually on top? And the absolute funniest thing was that with one friend, I knew it was going to be interesting b/c when I was talking to her fiancé, he said, well, what do you mean, that’s kind of hard to answer. I said I don’t want to know the details, this is just how the question will be posed and you need to give me a yes or a no. I can’t remember what he said – I think he said no. But by the time we got to ask my friend that question that night, she was 3 sheets to the wind and she gave way too much away – she also said something like, well, that question doesn’t really apply to us because usually we…

OMG. TMI. It was absolutely hilarious, and we were all laughing so hard we were falling down.

But I get to decide if that’s a question I can handle asking my baby bro, and then having his fiancée answer!

UPDATED July 2011:  Sorry for not posting this.  I was pleasantly surprised to find that costs for the bachelorette party were shared almost equally among the bride's side of the wedding party.  And the game was good.  I decided to go with the standard range of questions and I'd just pretend it wasn't my brother when I was getting some of the answers.  But what I did not realize was that the bride's mother would be staying throughout dinner when we played the game (she wasn't in town for the bachelorette party, but she and her friend (the woman who owned the cottage) came up for dinner on Sat night).  And of course I was just passing out the questions w/o thinking.  There should have been alarm bells when I realized she got one of the last questions, but I'd been drinking most of the day at that point, and I guess I just wasn't thinking about it.  Oops.  She got "You guys have or have not made love while standing up."  And on the back of the card was my brother's answer:  "Have."  Oh dear lord!  Fortunately for everyone involved, the bride's mom seemed to be a lot less uptight about that question than even I was when I had to ask my brother!  The bride thought it was hysterical, her mom was cracking up laughing, and it ended up being fine.  And on that question, the bride DID NOT have to take a shot -- she got it right.  Again, OMG, TMI...

No comments:

Post a Comment