Friday, July 1, 2011

To Race or Not To Race?

I'm trying to decide whether I should "race" tomorrow.  I think I have to use quotes around that phrase b/c obviously I'm not in racing shape.  The only way I could set a PR right now would be to race a distance I've never done before, or to race a distance I haven't raced in several years.

Tomorrow our local running club has two options -- 5k or 10k.  I need to decide if I'm going to do one, and if so which.  Other options are sleeping in (but Monday is going to be a rest day, so that's really not a good idea), or doing the run with Back on My Feet (not sure if I wrote about that before, I've only done it a couple times, it's running with homeless people to help them get on track in life and it's awesome).  But I should note that the homeless run would be at a fairly slow pace.  Since I really want to push hard the next couple weeks until my baby bro's wedding (eliminating as much back fat and other bulges as possible), I think it's better to do a race.

And I think 10k is probably the best option.  Because I'm closer to being in 10k PR shape than I am to being in 5k PR shape.  But I'm wondering if I should try to run hard.  The last time I tried to run a 10k with a lot of effort was in January (I'm sure I posted about it, but too lazy to try to find the link).  I was fairly disappointed with my time, but I was also in the middle of a bad upper respiratory infection.  But I'm not sure how that balances out -- [upper respiratory infection and coming off the holidays] v. [100 degrees and coming off a long vacation very very slowly]. 

In some ways maybe doing this 10k will be a great exercise for me -- practice at pushing hard, but not too hard.  Not hard enough to PR.  Not hard enough to die of heat stroke.  But hard enough to have a time with which I'm satisfied.  Hard enough to justify getting up early and getting out there.  Hard enough to feel like it was a solid day's workout. 

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you're going to do the 10K, which is great. I love the "hard enough to feel like it was a solid day's workout." Have fun!

    ReplyDelete