Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Taking a Tumble

After months of worrying it would happen, this morning at mile 4.8 of a 5 mile run, it finally happened. 

I wiped out.  While running in my weight vest.

My shoe caught on some construction wire left out on the street and I went down hard.

Wearing a weight vest makes me even heavier, and I fall even harder.

I think my right wrist took the brunt of it.  It hurts to drive and to type.  I'm mildly worried it's broken -- if it swells and isn't better by tomorrow morning, I guess I'll go for an x-ray.  I can't tell if it's the wrist or the fingers.  I can't actually close my fist.  I think my fingers bent backward a bit. 

My right hand is cut up.  My right bicep is bruising and still dirty (didn't wash it, no broken skin).  My face is scraped but only bleeding a little.  My knees are just dirty, no broken skin.  My right hip and right breast are probably bruising, those are places right where the weights crushed into me.

Ugh.  I'm so mad at myself.  Why wasn't I watching my step during that disaster area?

The ironic thing is now all 3 of my major running falls have occured within a one-block radius.  This time I was just past the intersection where I fell and sprained each ankle once, first in 2007 (left), then in 2009 (right).  Now I was on the same block, just a bit away from the intersection and I probably sprained my wrist and/or fingers.  Guess that means I need to really start guarding my left wrist in that area of town -- it's bound to be next! 

Anyway, I'm glad it wasn't worse.  I'm so glad my legs and feet survived.  I'm glad none of my teeth got knocked out.  I'm glad I was almost done running anyway.  I'm glad nothing is immediately evident to be broken.

Ugh.  Just kicking myself.  Going to be trying to remember the "could have been worse" all day.  Dreading do the real cleaning and bandaging of my hand.  Hoping the pain in the wrist/finger area goes away...

And it seems the longer it's off ice, the easier it gets to move.  Not pain-free, but not terrible.

1 comment:

  1. How terrible! I'm so sorry that this happened. If the pain persists, definitely get that wrist checked out. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete