Tuesday, March 20, 2012

T-5 days but not thinking legs

Instead of having my mind on my legs, it's dead set on my finger. It's officially been a week and about 2.5 hours since I fell, and my right index finger is still painful. I finally took a couple pictures of where I fell and will add them below -- it's that big roll of wire just sitting on the right side of the sidewalk that tripped me. Lovely planning Dallas, lovely.

I've decided I'm going to the doctor after the marathon next week if it still hurts. I'm kind of worried it's broken, but I still think a broken finger would hurt a lot more than mine does.

I still can't bend my finger completely to make a fist, and it is kind of a throbbing pain that sometimes wakes me up at night.

I'd think if it were just jammed or sprained, it would be mostly better now, a week later. I'm going to go ahead and call my ortho today to see if he works on fingers (so far I've only been there for waist-down running related issues, but I'd assume he'd do fingers too), and to make an appointment for sometime next week. I can always cancel it if it does get better.

My appointment won't be until at least two weeks after I fell because I've realized my travel schedule is going to be busy the next few weeks.

So I leave on Friday morning for the marathon. Hang out, work, rest, etc. Race on Sunday.

Monday I fly to Philly for work. Settlement conference on Tuesday, hopefully fly back to Dallas Tuesday night, but if I miss it, then fly back Wed. morning.

Meanwhile, on Tuesday, hubby will leave for Italy.

Wed. my law school roommate will be in town through Friday, so spend lots of time getting caught back up at work, but also hanging out with her.

I might actually get to have a lovely and relaxing weekend with minimal workouts and maximum sleep. Usually even if I don't have to get up early to run or workout, hubby wakes up fairly early, and that eventually wakes me up. I can't wait for the uninterrupted sleep!

Then I think on the following Thursday, I'm going to fly up to Chicago to see my brothers for Easter weekend. Hubby will get back to Dallas on Saturday or Sunday, but I won't be here. I'll stay in Chicago until Monday morning, then head (probably by car) to Indy, and will be at a mediation there on Tuesday, and possibly Wednesday.

Then I'll finally make it back to Dallas, to first see hubby after more than 2 weeks apart (the longest we'll have ever gone), and to get ready to host dinner party number 3 of the year, the anniversary of our rehearsal dinner for our Dallas friends who were there in Italy with us for our rehearsal dinner three years ago.

And then maybe life will settle into sanity.

I am considering taking a track class a couple nights a week so my running can get back up to not-carrying-35-extra-pounds speed. I might run a half marathon with some of my training group here in town. And then it will be May already. Time to book plane tickets to the Hood to Coast relay in August, and to China in October!

I can't believe how quickly this year is flying by!

1 comment:

  1. Those two weeks can be a harkening back to your single-girl days. Lots of baths, reading, and relaxing, I hope.

    It definitely sounds like that finger of yours is more serious than you originally thought. I broke my pinky finger once, when I was in 3rd grade, and all they did was put a splint on it. Of course, it's been years since then, so maybe medicine has advance in dealing with fingers, but maybe you could try to immobilize it a bit more? Make a bit of a homemade splint?

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete